What are your thoughts on USA removing historic memorials?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What are your thoughts on USA removing historic memorials?

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:59 am

What are your thoughts on USA removing historic Confederate memorials, statues, plagues, etc?

The so called claim it's to "move on" is phooey. If you want to move on, you let it go. These monuments, historic memorials, statues, plagues, etc have been around for years and didn't bother anyone before.

This all got stirred up because of the Charleston, SC shooting. Just because he had a couple small rebel flags behind him in a photo, it's all bad. For petes sake they pulled Dukes of Hazzard General Lee cars off the shelves because of this.
Isn't that a little paranoid you think? When are they going to stop? Do you want to rewrite all the history, or rename the country? IE: Lee Blvd changed to East Blvd, etc.

Should the USA put up "new" Confederate memorials, no. But that doesn't mean we should remove or destroy the ones already there.

The Confederate States Army fighting the Union Army is not much different than the Continental Army fighting the Great Britain. The main difference the Continental Army won, while the Confederate States Army lost. We kept streets, towns, monuments named after British alone.

To much of this PC is hurting the country and the world. People are too thin skinned.

We have too much to worry about now, and what's to come.
Last edited by BIGMAN131307 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: What are your thoughts on USA removing historic memorial

Postby Mr T » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 pm

It's standard practice for the liberal left to remove history. Look at all the great communist (left wing ) nations who have done so, it has generally either ended badly (civil war), or has come back full circle and they realise that they have to embrace their past (Communist Capitalism)..

History is what makes a nation, good or bad history, and that cannot be altered. Pulling down statues, monuments, busts and removing paintings doesn't alter the facts.

There will always be 'idealists', 'racists and fools, who try and alter History, it is just a matter for Governments to keep the balance and not let just one lot have a voice.

(Read 1984 by George Orwell, the 1984 film with Richard Burton is good, but the book is better, it is very much like a warning for our future (and was based on Stalins communism)).
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:48 am

It should be morally and physically wrong to remove historic events and memorabilia.. be it statues, paintings or whatever.
"Cleansing" history to suit one faction of people wrongs the rest.
Do we also erase the World Wars from history? And the war between Mexico and the early United States, along with the Alamo?
The history is there for learning from. Good or bad, keep it. The more sordid events should be kept more private, though.
Some American Presidents were highly respected, yet still honored 'owning' people as slaves.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:54 am

There have been recent news reports that New York City is doing a "study" of whether to remove the statue of Christopher Columbus from Columbus Circle. Along with other questionable artifacts of history that may reflect bias or oppression to the people. Even Grant's Tomb may be in question. Some street names reflecting Confederate generals are being considered for possible change also.
Perhaps the definition of "politically" or "socially" correct is becoming corrupted?
http://nypost.com/2017/08/21/columbus-c ... tue-to-go/
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:27 pm

^- lol

Christopher Columbus was a joke.
His claims to fame:

#1 He discovered America. [error]
#2 New trade route to India. [error]
#3 The world is round, not flat. [partial credit]

Truth:
#1 The Vikings beat him to America about 400-500 years earlier than his hyped 1492. He landed and explored the Bahamas, Central and South American, not North America.
#2 He was supposed to be sailing around the world to India. That's why he called the people he found Indians. Who we refer to a Native Americans.
#3 Well he didn't fall off the oceans cliff. lol
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mr T » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:32 am

You are right about Columbus, people populated the Americas (North, Central and South) from about 20,000 years ago, crossing the frozen ice bridge between Siberia and Alaska. What Columbus did do though is map his route - the Spaniards who he worked for were great belivers in cartography and looking for a trade route, mapping was a must. The Vikings were the first probable european explorers to reach North America.

And, contrary to popular belief, most scientists and scholars from that time didn't believe the world was flat, in fact from the time of the Greek scholars, most believed the world was spherical and Columbus did state this.

There was an excellent TV series called 'Man on the Rim' about the movement of people out of Africa and dispersing along the rim of the Earth to reach South America.

You are so right, political correctness is really beginning to damage the fabric of our society, we call the thin-skinned people 'snowflakes' because they are so delicate... :D
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Roach412 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:52 am

I think in a lot of cases there are some extraneous usage of monuments/etc. in the South, but overall I don't believe in removing history. Anything that is part of an official memorial or federal/state park related directly to a battlefield (think Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Bull Run...etc.). Having random statues all over the place in front of all government buildings/schools/administration/etc. is a little much and could definitely be scaled back a bit. But, and I emphasize BUT, it should be done in the appropriate way. People scaling statues and ripping them down is absolutely not the right way to do it...all they've done, or are doing, or will do, is provide more ammunition to the very groups they are trying to remove.

In the end, George Santayana had it right:
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Each generation is more and more removed from the actions of those before us - WWII means practically nothing to teenagers, Vietnam and Korea are already faded memories, we're already 2 generations of soldiers in Afghanistan... They're all very easily forgotten. Humans are terrible recollectors, and we need memorials to paint pictures of what was and those important figures involved (we can't have a memorial for every man woman and child unfortunately).

Personal opinion here, but throwing away or destroying history to me is offensive within itself.

-R
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:50 pm

Roach412 wrote:Personal opinion here, but throwing away or destroying history to me is offensive within itself.

-R

Exactly!

I'm just waiting for some of those wack-a dos to want to remove Mount Rushmore. They would probably use claims like the Govt shouldn't look down at the people. No one should be held higher than anyone else, etc. More PC crap.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Roach412 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:23 am

Every human has faults, and we've all done things we aren't proud of which offends somebody. Yes, some have done worse than others, but this isn't even a "well that's worse than xyz" argument going on. It's a blanket application of dislike (hate, if you want to call it even):
confederate = racist P.O.S.
believe in protecting anything "designated" by "whoever apparently designates racists" = racist P.O.S.

Not all confederates were slave owners, or even racist...just like not all northerners were abolitionists.

Not everyone who voted one way or another believes entirely in who they voted for. Our society has become so "this or that" minded it's pathetic.

I'm waiting for somebody to call for the removal of Holocaust museums because it demonstrates anti-Semitism.
You have to show the bad side of history to even try to understand the good.

-R
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset