Let It Snow..

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Let It Snow..

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:04 am

Likely has been posted before, but the recent storms across the country have caused hardships to many. Many of us can relate to this story..

Let It Snow...

Sept. 12th We moved into our new house in New Hampshire. So beautiful here. Love the place!!
Dec. 8th It started to snow. The first of the season, and the wife and I took our hot buttered rum and sat by the window, watching the soft flakes drift down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It was beautiful!!
Dec. 9th We awoke to a big beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time in years, and I loved it. The wife and I went outside and had a snowball fight.. our first! I did both our driveway and our sidewalk. Later the snowplow came along, and covered our driveway with compacted snow from the street. He smiled and waved. I waved back. I shoveled it again.
Dec. 12th The sun has melted most of our lovely snow. Oh, well, I'm sure we'll get a little more before this lovely winter is over.
Dec. 14th It snowed 9 inches last night, and the temperature dropped to about zero. Shoveled the sidewalk and driveway again. Shortly the snowplow came by and did its trick again.
Dec. 15th Sold our car and bought a 4X4 Blazer so we could get around in the snow. Bought snow tires for my pickup. Weatherman predicted 2 inches overnight, got 8 inches instead!! Made a target from his picture for dart games!
Dec. 16th Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway. $230.00 to the chiropractor, but nothing was broken, thank goodness. The damn sky is getting dark again.
Dec. 17th Still cold (minus 5 degrees) this a.m. Icy roads making for very tough driving. Slid into a guardrail with my wife's car. Probably $1000.00 damage or so. She's all ticked-off.
Dec. 10th Had another 14 inches of the white crap last night. More shoveling in store for me today. That blasted snowplow came by twice. Got blisters on my hands from the shoveling!
Dec. 22nd We are assured of a White Christmas, because another 17 inches of that white crud fell today, and with this freezing weather, won't melt until next August!! I got all dressed up to go out and shovel that crap again. (Boots, jump suit, jacket, scarf, earmuffs, gloves, etc.)... Then I get the urge to pee!!!
Dec. 24th If I ever catch the SOB that drives the snowplow, I'll drag him by his whiskers through the snow! I think he hides around the corner, and waits for me to finish shoveling, and then comes down the street at gung-ho speed and throws that white crap everywhere. Butthead!!
Dec.25th MERRY CHRISTMAS! They predict 12 more inches of the flippin' white stuff tonight. Does anyone know how many shovels full of snow 12 inches is??!?! To hell with Santa! He doesn't have to shovel that white crap. The snow plow driver got stuck in a drift, asked me if he could borrow my shovel. I hit him with it!! Can't find the mailbox, under five feet of white crud!
Dec. 28th We got 11 inches more!! Can't get out of the house for three days. I must be going snow blind, or have a severe case of depression, because the wife is beginning to look good to me.
Dec. 29th The toilet froze, and the roof is starting to cave in. If you go outside, don't eat the brown snow.
Dec. 30th I torched the house. We are moving back to New Mexico.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:13 am

I deal with snow every year. It's not for everybody.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:03 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:I deal with snow every year. It's not for everybody.

Same here..
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:25 pm

I know, once every 20-25 years, we get flurries in Orlando.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby bdub » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 am

grew up in Ormond/Daytona beach, and never knew what snow was about till I moved to DC. two storms in the past 13 years were incredible. the last one in 2011 was called "snomaggedeon". seriously, it had its own name like a hurricane. unreal.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Roach412 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:59 pm

born and raised in southeastern wisconsin. we have about 4 months without snow. seriously. four.

it's snowed mid-june, people go skiing on the slopes...then the next day it will be 75 and people will be skiing again....on the lakes.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 am

Another 'major' storm is brewing on the Eastern coast.. "PAX" is its name.
Those who live in the South-East US are not used to severe Winter weather.
This storm may have a heavy impact on the New England area also!
Many people living in southern Pennsylvania lost power for more than 5 days, from the previous storm! Reportedly, over 800,000 initially.
Light, fluffy snow is easily managed.. but an icy mix makes for treacherous travel and power outages.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:25 am

My area got nearly 15" total snowfall from this latest storm. There was more in some New England states, and some Southern states had major power outages. 'Down there', they are not prepared for heavy snowfall.
Thankfully, I have a 22hp garden tractor with a 42" snow blower on it! But shoveling is still a PITA!!!!
The area just East of the Great lakes is infamous for major snowfall amounts.. up to 48" in some single storm periods. Ask anyone from Buffalo NY or Watertown NY! Or Erie PA.
The worst problem with all this snow is structures with flat roofs.. they can collapse from the weight.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:35 am

"Here we go again", so to speak. After several severe Winter storms, Old Man Winter will not give up! The latest assault is called "Vulcan", and may break snowfall records from more than 150 years back in some areas! Some New England areas are under a 'blizzard warning' with this approaching storm! Hopefully, my area will not see a severe event. We all have "had enough"! :x
Some reports of "snow thunder", which is not all that rare. When two air masses collide, and there is a lot of moisture, frictional accumulation of static can induce lightning and thunder.. the same way as a Summer thunder storm! But not that frequently, in Winter.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:19 am

I wonder where all this moisture is coming from.... hmmmmmmmm?

there is sarcasm in what I write, I know exactly where it's coming from.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War