U.S. Government Crisis!

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

U.S. Government Crisis!

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:39 am

The U.S. Government is in a shut-down. USA Today Link:
All because a few irrational politicians want their own way.. and to h*l* with everyone else!
Hundreds of thousands of civilian jobs associated with government work are suspended.. and the workers will have no income. All National Parks are closed. All Federal buildings are closed.
The economy may now take six years to recover.. instead of perhaps six months!
These "representatives" took an oath of office.. "Of the People, By the People, and For the People." They have failed miserably, and should be expelled from their positions.. and have their pay and benefits taken away!
Sad times are upon the populace.. due to insubordination!
One young Senator had the audacity to filibuster for 21 hours by reading children's books to Congress!!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am

i agree that congress shouldn't be paid until they fix it.
i also think that congress shouldn't be allowed to do anything that differs from any "standard" government employee (i.e. different healthcare, benefits packages, etc)

however, i have my own personal issues with the health care act and don't think it should be funded fully either, so am glad (to a certain degree) that it's being fought.

personally, this shutdown won't have direct influence on me - i'm not in the need of any government services/support that would be impacted by the shutdown at this current time. more than likely everything would be returned to "normal" before i would be impacted, so i have to shrug my shoulders and carry on with doing what i need to do.

for those that are directly impacted, you have my sympathies.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 am

Agreed that the "Health Care Act" (AKA 'Obama Care') can be an expensive burden to many, it will benefit all.. if implemented properly. All too many people are uninsured as to medical needs.. and the burden of payment is passed to those who do have adequate coverage. Hospitals cannot refuse anyone for emergency care that is life-threatening. But for "general" care, if not given, it can result in a life-threatening condition.
Some premiums for this "health care" are exorbitant. And there are too many variants of the program. Age, employment, family status, locale.. all cause the variables. There should be one "national" policy rate minimum to maximum, fair for all.

But no reason that Congress should hold a nation hostage for want of repeal.. and not to just attend to proper wording and application of this Act.
Some Congressmen who DO have a 'conscience' have put forward a motion to suspend their pay and benefits until the shut-down is retracted. But for some, being selfish is their only desire!

This 'revolt' by government outcasts will affect the economy world-wide. Too late to think twice about selfish actions.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:24 pm

All I can say is I hope it doesn't affect my disability Medicare and Medicaid....if it does, I'm screwed.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:01 pm

You should not have to worry about disability, Medicare and Medicaid benefits, fussnfeathers. What was in place before the shutdown will not really be affected, but new applications may be delayed or not accepted until after this fiasco is ended. Social Security stipends will not be affected, either.. or minimally. CBS News Story:
Most vacation and tourist sites (National Parks) will be closed.. many hundred thousands of civilian and non-essential government people will be furloughed. But mail service will not be affected.

Some news comments re the shutdown: "Now that the government is shut down, there is no means to pay those Senators.. so let them go scrounge".
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Some news comments re the shutdown: "Now that the government is shut down, there is no means to pay those Senators.. so let them go scrounge".

That is as much bulls**t, as the "for the people, by the people"... The President and law "makers" will see to it they continue to rake in the dough. While the law "enforcers" get no pay.

State shut downs work in the same way..
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:56 am

Toby B. wrote:

That is as much bulls**t, as the "for the people, by the people"... The President and law "makers" will see to it they continue to rake in the dough. While the law "enforcers" get no pay.

State shut downs work in the same way..

Actually, by federal law, medical and law enforcement have to be paid. First Responders will have no issues, but hospitals might take a hit.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 pm

it's official, i'm impacted by the shutdown. :o

my employer's flu vaccination program had to postpone my appointment today. the shutdown delayed the delivery of vaccinations - so now i will need to wait until next week (maybe) to get vaccinated.

chaos ensue!

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:51 am

And if Congress does not get its "act" together, the deficit limit may be the second blow to the economy.. a serious one. Per some news sources, the stipends for Social Security may be delayed or not issued. More than 20 million people have no income other than Social Security!
If the U.S. Government does not act promptly and with conscience toward the debt ceiling limits, we may default.. and this could create a catastrophic effect world-wide! Armageddon may be a child's game, in comparison to the results of a Government default!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:44 am

i have to ask... does anyone think it is the right thing to do, for republicans to tie raising the debt ceiling to defunding or delaying obamacare?
even worse, is the fact that it is really a small faction of the republican party that is causing this... backed by Koch brothers funding, of course.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War