And I thought I was a messy bugger

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

And I thought I was a messy bugger

Postby av8r » Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:51 pm

I've just been tidying up my system.

Now, for all the women out there looking listening and waiting to comment. I admit, I am a typical male. Bit of a slob generally, and I like to trash my work environment. the study is a health and safety nightmare just getting to the PC desk. I like to think of it as burglar deterent, but there you are.

But what about windows! (Using 2000pro at the moment)A clean install, and fragmented files all over the place? Give it a big HDD, it seems to make maximum use of the space by scattering junk everywhere. run a defrag analysis, and says it doesn't need to do a defrag.
What are those files that are fragged and scattered. Left over from the install and not tidied up afterwards? Left lying around cos it couldn't find a home for 'em.

(You can just hear the women nodding knowingly can't you?)

If a big outfit with billions of dollars (Bill, take a bow) and shedloads of resoiurces can't work out how to tidy up properly, why do women give men such a hard time about the tiny little amounts of clutter we create?
av8r
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:50 pm

TINY LITTLE amounts of clutter????? 8O LOL!! :lol:

I also use 2000 Pro at work and when it tells me I don't need a defrag but I can see fragged files I just defrag anyway :wink: But that's one of the MANY reasons I don't use M$ products anymore :roll:
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby av8r » Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:38 am

They say men and women are different. I agree. When my better half insists I tidy up, I do. Then she comes along and tells me what a slob I am and tidies up to her definition.

Same with windows. It tells me it does not need a defrag. I do what you do and defrag anyway.

It's all a matter of perspective.
av8r
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tolemac » Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:58 am

Yes it IS a matter of perspective. :wink:

I run Norton Speed Disk on a regular basis whether it needs it or not. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby EvLwMn » Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:12 pm

av8r wrote:They say men and women are different. I agree. When my better half insists I tidy up, I do. Then she comes along and tells me what a slob I am and tidies up to her definition.

Same with windows. It tells me it does not need a defrag. I do what you do and defrag anyway.

It's all a matter of perspective.

What she needs to do is teach you what she expects when she says tidy up :wink:

There are a great many programs like that. They try to idiot proof it so much that they screw it up in the process.
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby av8r » Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:40 am

In the past, I've not had many dealings with utilities and things that don't come included in the OS or applications.
I think the last time I used a utility program (or similar) was XtreeGold.

(from so long ago that the programmer wrote/chiselled it in rock.)

What is Speed disk exactly?

As for As for EvLwMn's comment about her-in-doors teaching me. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Best just shoot me now! Messiness and clutter are my Character. 8)
av8r
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tolemac » Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:01 am

Speed Disk is a disk defragmenter program that comes with Symantec's Norton Utilities. Quite an excellent prog that I've never had any trouble with and I've used most of the name defragmenters on the market at one time or another.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Cleaning up da EZ way....

Postby Petey970Z » Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:22 am

:wink: :wink: iolo technologies sent me a copy of "System Mechanic" on a CD-ROM and at a touch of the button cleaned all of my hard disk of old files, unused files, (left over from Uninstalls) Registry and cookies and other stuff. It even sped up my internet connection.

I was hesitant doing this but what could I lose. Works just as advertised.
Petey sends......
Petey970Z
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sema4MK » Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:50 pm

Speed Disk from Symantec is a really great defragger.

Not only does it defrag, it places the most frequently accessed files on the outer tracks of your hard drive for quicker read/writes, and conversely places the most infrequently accessed files on the inner tracks.

Also you can basically specify where you would like certain files to be physically loaded on your hard drive.
--Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.
Sema4MK
Initiate
Initiate

Postby len444 » Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:39 pm

i read somewhere that the defrag prog. that windows uses is a watered down version of symantec's speed disk (licensed/ based upon???). can anybody confirm this?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War