VOTE

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

VOTE

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:27 am

In USA it's an election day - often without many candidates this time (depending where you are).

However Schools continue to have referundums for added funding (beyond the latest 650 Billion $ Fed 'Bailout' subsidies), the promoters of the new funding will be voting - if you might think that it is not needed, you'd better vote too... It doesn't take that long.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby bmaverick » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:38 pm

These odd years is when local governments like to put things out there that Joe public tends to ignore during an off season election. Big Government nails more taxes and fees on even years, locals hit you in odd years.

SO ALWAYS VOTE EVERY YEAR. PDT_Armataz_01_02
Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."

If I ever had a transaction with you, please fill out my heatware!
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor 4400+ 2.3Ghz | nVidia GeForce 8200 | 320Gb HDD | 2Gb RAM | Windows Vista Home Premium | Multi-DVD/CD RW
bmaverick
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:27 pm

We do things a little differently in Vermont........no voting here that I'm aware of. I'm not a homeowner, though, so I don't get all the flyers telling me when and where, I have to rely on the local news maybe putting a short blurb on that town elections are happening, then call City Hall to find out what school they're using as a polling place this year. Fron what I remember, all local voting was done in March at the Town Meeting, our general elections don't happen for another year.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmEv » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:45 pm

No voting here in ID, either. We own our house.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:53 am

I went to my polling place, to find nothing to vote on...

But it's true that Property Tax increases to fund who knows what often quietly pass on the 'off' Election days.

Using schools as polling places also makes parents and teachers somewhat more likely to vote because they know where - and most tax hikes are funding something for schools (although there was a refreundum for tax increase for our water treatment that I did vote for, and it passed with 75% 'yes' - clean good-tasting water is worth it).

Too bad I couldn't get a 'I tried to Vote' sticker :)
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby skippyboy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:14 pm

Here in VA we had state office elections and nothing about taxes, local or state. But on the subject of voting on road improvement, new services, taxes, or building, Mr bowman is right. In my home state of Iowa they were all ways holding polling on these issues on weird days and months. The last one I remember was they wanted money for a new library knowing they would lose funding with the old historic Carnegie one we had if it was passed. So they held the vote the day after the 4th of July weekend and with most people not paying attention or gone the special interest group won by a landslide. Which added another 2% on everyone's property taxes. Not a large amount but why tax the people when it was funded for life from a well known foundation. It didn't help when 7 out of 10 city council people were pushing for this. After this happened I really started to pay attention more to what was going on at the local, county, and state level. And yes I did go vote on that issue.
skippyboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to The Hundred Year War