Should I join a men's group?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Should I join a men's group?

Postby CivilDissent » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:18 am

Well, our newest appointed Supreme Court judge is setting a new prescedent, joining sexist priority groups. With this prescedent being set, I should be able to join any purely men's group with no problem from the liberals of this country. (This forum is not included as their are much better rules here. :wink: )

So, we will have to see what comes out of this but I suspect it will be made as a good thing by the liberals, although if any of the conservatives had been a member of an all men's group, the world would have been torn apart.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_sotomayor_supreme_court

Yet another double standard for this country.
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Should I join a men's group?

Postby greytrains » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:33 pm

There are all male conservative groups out there that most people overlook. One such group is the Knights of Columbus, which I am a proud member of. There are some politicians that I personally know that are also members of the Knights. If you looked hard enough you might find more that are members of other all male conservative groups. They just don't advertise the fact.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CivilDissent » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:45 am

You are absolutely correct with one side note and that is that you are not a politician, I think. :wink:

Half of the males in my family, including my father, are Freemasons with top levels (33rd degree) in the York and Scottish rites, so that is along the same line as you. My father is also a Shriner and a Templar.

So, I do know a might bit about which you are speaking.

There are groups that section people off all over the place, and it is not really bad, but most do not serve as politicians and, therefore, are not scrutinized as politicians. If any conservative US congressman were to be in a group like that they would be hanged in the gallows. In politics, freedom only flows one way, towards liberals.

Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby greytrains » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:55 pm

While I have thought about entering politics it would be a the local/county level only. I am an honest man with a strong set of morals and would not fit in with the crooks at the state and federal levels. I don't believe that an honest, moral person can remain that way for long surrounded by all that corruption. All of the Knights that I know that are also politicians are at a local level.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:51 am

I guess that the YMCA is in trouble...

The smallest minority is : The Individual

In the USA, how many actually 'fit' as 'purebred':
White
Black
Asian
Hispanic
Native Indian

So what do the rest of us 'mongrels' check on the census form ?

And I'm not only Christian - I'm Mormon. Check history of Mormon prosecution in the USA (Death Order in Illinois recinded and apologised for in 2006, for example). All the 'Gay Rights' stuff about how the Government can't prevent folks from 'loving each other' - could benefit from studying early 1900's and what the Fed did to Polygamists...
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby CivilDissent » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:52 am

I agree.

I consider myself Scottish-English-French-Chinese-Hispanic-African and on and on and I have family bloodlines to prove it. Oh, I am Native American, and my wife is Chinese also so that will add another country to the family line. There are so few 'fullbloods' out there, nevertheless there are many groups who like to consider themselves so. After all, this is a nation founded by immigrants (after slaughtering the natives, of course).

I also agree with your point on discrimination. The recent quarrels are only the most recent of a long line of prejudices and should not claim such uniqueness. Part of my family came to the NorthEast, from Scotland, when there was much anti-Scottish feelings in cities such as New York. What about the anti-Japanese feelings in WWII? They were thrown in concentration camps no less. Try doing that to Middle Easterners, Blacks or Hispanics, these days, and see what happens. The Chinese were highly discriminated against when they came over to help build the railroads. I could go on and on. Oh, we also have Mormons in our family also. We are definitely no 'purebreeds'.

Sotomayors comments are a little more pointed though. Have a male congressman reverse that exact statement and see what happens.....it will not be good. NOW would have a field day on a comment like that. And, along those lines, how can she take back a statement that she already made and get away with it. Many Republicans have bit the dust because statements they made. Should they be able to just say they did not mean it that way?

Oh, I believe polygamy is still illegal in most states. We should discuss the gay issue privately though as I would have some points to make.

Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:28 am

With all of the CENSUS information (see Michelle Bachman's website for examples) on ACORN's Census - why are there no simple question(s) like :
Citizenship status:

For the first two, perhaps also Military status, Active, Veteran (perhaps type of discharge - Homorable/General/Dishonorable, etc). Perhaps also - registered voter ?

Natural Born
Naturalized (perhaps from where)

For these next two perhaps also ask if any intent to Naturalize ?

Green Card/Visa (perhaps what kind: Student/Work/etc. and from where)
Illegal Alien (if so from where)
_____________________End of Census Rant_______________________

Any 'Racial' or 'Ethnic' details will quickly become 'American' (supposed to be a melting pot) or Not American - we must be tolerant of diverse cultures without discouraging any) or we will continue a basis for continued discrimination.

Qualification for work should be simply based on competence, NOTHING else - no Quotas, no special allowances for dumbing down for certain groups. Of course also no exclusion based on Race, Creed (eg; Religion) or Color (or height, weight, etc. unless absolutely job related). Not even based on non-communicable medical condition (and I think that mostly AIDS is not communicable - intimacy exposes plenty of extraordinary health issues - not the least of which is Children).

Sexual preference should remain PRIVATE (I have no desire to know everyone's sexual preferance) - do what you want with consenting ADULTS - IN PRIVATE PLEASE !! Somehow we don't discuss bowel movements , etc. (not yet anyway) - discression makes tolerance easier.

Isn't this COMMON SENSE ? Of course when Lawyers (like Senators or Congresspersons) get involved, ambiguity, hate and confusion is a means of promoting litigation (job security for Lawyers).

As far as energy goes, we should produce what we can ourselves - does it really matter if an oil spill in the Gulf is from Middle East Oil or Oil that we drilled for ??? Naturally we should be reasonably responsible. Naturally fanaticism will impede all success. But import as little as possible (unless it IS really cheap). Of course conserve, but don't leglislate bulding codes, etc. to 'force' a specific technology (it always makes it harder to incorporate new and better ones later).

Regarding Health Care - we ALREADY have the best on Earth. Some regulation of the Insurance companies may be useful, but let THEM figure out how to compete and keep cost compeitive (Government is not only incompetent at this, but it also likes to collectt 'unrelated' revenue, then squander it in some really weird and irresponsible ways and come up way over budget over and over).
We cannot afford "Free" health care - especially if Illegal Aliens are covered better than I am with my private insurance (I don't qualify for Medicaid, because I actually report income and pay taxes.). We'll only succeed in attracting sick people from all over the Earth for our "free" care...

:mb_rant::

When Congress passes what 80% of people do NOT want, something is VERY wrong - it's more about Power and Seniority than representing Voters.

Darn, that felt good.

Happy 4th of July ! :lol:
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby chris754 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:40 am

Learn to accept difference, and peoples's desire to pursue their own past and future. It doesn't matter what your ancestors are-we may all have the same if we go back far enough (see theories about the 7 daughters of eve for example). From there, celebrate the fact that there are countries who zealously chase freedom and the ability to be yourself-unlike the states like Iran and North Korea.
chris754
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:15 am

The only way to end meaningless and hateful discrimination is to STOP seeing a person's complexion, hair (or lack thereof) and eye color, accent, ethnic indications (cross, star of David, Cresent, etc.).

We should focus on actual accomplishments. Capability + Motivation. Attitudes (should be open, generally friendly till deliberately offended or threatened).

Sotomayor has one fundamental problem (aside from discrimination issues, although prehaps bcause of them) - over 1/2 of the judgements she has made were reversed by Supreme Court...she does not understand the USA Constitution, which is fundamental for a Supreme Court Justice.

As CivilDissent started with, these forums are equally open - until one violates rules (generally more than once, unless quite deliberately ignoring them). Actually, all that's needed here is ability to read (and type). All nations are equally welcome, just play by the rules (which don't change often).
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby CivilDissent » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Yes, chris754, equality is my ultimate point.

If there can be sectarian groups, based on race, sex, nationality, etc., i.e. United Negro College Fund, the Black Caucus, NOW, etc., etc., etc., then it should be equal for all, i.e. the United Caucasian College Fund, the White Caucus, NOM, etc., etc., etc. Yes, there are many groups that....unofficially...have these characteristics but when challenged cannot exist.

So, my point is that ALL people's should be able to form these narrowistic mind sets or NONE. One or the other is fine with me as long as all can create these groups. Otherwise, none should be able to form these groups.

If all cannot do as the others do then it is flat out prejudice.

And, yes, we need start seeing the similarities in each other more than the differences. It is ok to see the differences but we need to stop acting like they are more important than our similarities. Forgiveness, is a big thing also. So many groups out there are still holding grudges after more than 150 years and need to reach out a forgiving hand and stop living on hatred. Things will get better when a party has had something done against them and still reach out a friendly, forgiving hand. This country, itself, has a long, long way to go on that subject itself.

Ok, I got that off of my chest. Whew.

Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War