PC Chips Any Good??

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Mr T » Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:02 am

I get your drift, Aussie, but we do use a lot of boards and the main sellers are PC CHIPS 810's. Use them in budget systems and have had no returns due to the board. Have flashed the BIOS on them no problem to put an XP2100 in them, drivers always load first time and haven't had to use tech support yet................. :D

Likewise with ECS, JETWAY and ABIT, however Iwill and ASUS different matter - tech support - nil ( told you in an earlier post about the problems getting on and downloading off the ASUS sites)...ASUS boards have become very flakey recently esp when the A7V333 was released, we received about 20 and as I said 10 went back with duff voltage regultors. Also it is not easy telling a customer that his A7V333 won't support 3 sticks of 256 pc2100 RAM ( another bug we found) :evil: , but we did find that sticking a memory slot back on with wood glue did work :roll: ...Iwill well their 333 board kept blowing BIOS's (became Iwon't)

As for the ECS K7S5A... very good board.. 1 RMA (wierdest fault I've seen) and apparently it can support a 333fsb (shout at me if I am wrong) with a BIOS upgrade.... 8O
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby len444 » Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:49 pm

len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:59 pm

I had a dream.................. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Tolemac » Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:30 am

I saw that Stomper awhile back. Wondered why they went with the 810LMR, but it would seem (at least according to the esteemed Mr. T) that these, at least, work as they should.

In the time that I have been working with motherboards.org, I have seen more problems with PC Chips mobos than any other. I have also read at several other forums where people have had nothing but bad luck with the majority of PC Chips mobos. This includes ECS, et al.

That being said, I now sight Shuttle as an example of a company that can get their act together and make good boards. Shuttle, as most of you know, was in the same category as PC Chips as far as reliability and ease of use were concerned. Then they decided to quit making crap, and their boards are now some of the best mid and low priced boards out there.

If they can do it, so can PC Chips. I, however, will not be holding my breath. Yes, some of their boards work and work very well, but they are in the minority. Overall, I do not use them, nor do I recommend them for any reason. Now if Mr. T would care to send me an 810LMR to test, I'd be more than happy to do so and report back here with a review of my findings. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:02 am

:D LoL, gladly Tolemac, however due to Import taxes, Export taxes, VAT and carriage, it just ain't worth it......... :lol:

Just as an afterthought is there anyway of finding out which boards have the most complaints posted :?:
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Tolemac » Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:57 am

All of the 500 series, most of the 700 series and a few of the 900 series. The 810 has not been mentioned in a negative way that I have found, but then again, I haven't been looking for that one. :wink:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:33 am

hmm, almost like people expect an AMD-CPU board to behave bad now and then and stopped complaining about it :twisted:

(diving behind desk for flames)
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:42 am

peeking... :?: no reaction :?:
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:17 am

:lol: lol, I must admit I have more flakey athalon boards than PII,PIII and P4 boards, however for a cheap alternative to Intel, AMD is the processor (however I will admit I have only used a PC CHIPS mobo for myself once for testing 'cos it was cheap and it didn't let me down)..
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:53 am

Was testing you. I know the chipsets for AMD CPUs have always been more troublesome than the ones for Intel CPUs. It's not the CPU, it the b***y chipset that is the problem. Also being in the budget segment doesn't help R&D and QC very much.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War