PC Chips Any Good??

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Aussie » Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:20 am

I am at a disadvantage here since I am not one of the "good ol' boys" at this site.

That is just plain wrong and one hell of an assumption to boot. It would be very easy to take offense to that statement were it not so laughable.

I would simply be accused of flaming someone

Only if you did in fact flame someone, you're making assumptions again.

I am not intimidated by anyone here

I should hope not.

just ban me now if you wish...I don't really care.

I don't have that power and I don't wish to ban you even if I did so calm down.

I still will speak well of the "POS class" of mobos in the future

You are welcome to express your opinion here as are others, providing it is in a congenial manner of course.

I just won't get into "debating" the issue with any of you "experts" in the future.

Usually it helps add weight to your opinion if you can back it up with facts or experiences in a debate of the subject however not doing so is entirely your decision.

As far as the "expert" tag goes my late father always said that "X" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure so I try very hard to avoid the "Xspurt" tag. :wink:

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby JohnCD » Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:51 am

1. Well, I've personally experienced the "good ol' boy" (and gal) syndrome in operation in other forums, two of which banned me. So that factor isn't as "laughable" as you suggest. It happens and is quite real.

2. Flaming? I was defending myself from a poster and two moderators, then told I was flaming them yet the others involved -- doing the same thing to me -- were not even admonished. Clearly favortism being shown there.

3. All I've said in "defense" of the "POS class of mobos" HAS been from personal experience, website info, information gleaned from certain TV sources, mobo/computer newsgroups in UseNet, computer-related forum websites, personal contact with "POS" mobo owners and other sources; I don't just make stuff up for the sake of talking...or being argumentative.

But I was talking to the newbie -- the original poster -- not to the "experts" who took issue with me when the thread took a different direction. I'm quite sure the latter won't be changing their minds anytime soon on this subject and neither will I, so there's no point in going on about it. I wasn't trying to change any "expert" minds anyway. I NEVER try to do that. I don't even try to change ANYone's mind, just state the facts as I understand them.

So I have no interest in futile excercises.

I have much better things to do than that...like clean up my apartment and put two computers back together for one.

John D.
________
FREE ITUNES GIFT CARDS
Last edited by JohnCD on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aussie » Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:33 pm

2. Flaming? I was defending myself from a poster and two moderators, then told I was flaming them yet the others involved -- doing the same thing to me -- were not even admonished. Clearly favortism being shown there.

Are you talking about this thread, this forum or something else entirely different?

If you are talking about this thread you weren't defending "yourself" you were defending your "opinion" which is totally different. Who said you were flaming anybody I certainly didn't and neither were the others flaming you in my opinion. No admonishment needed and no favouritism being shown.

But I was talking to the newbie -- the original poster -- not to the "experts" who took issue with me when the thread took a different direction

The "experts" as you insist on calling them "took issue" with you when you suggested that those expressing an opinion contrary to yours were displaying "ignorance", that statement is what caused the thread to take a "different direction" as you put it. However nobody "flamed" you for it they just asked you to back up your opinion, to provide more information in support of your stance.

Anyway, like you I have work to do.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby JohnCD » Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:38 pm

"Are you talking about this thread, this forum or something else entirely different?"

The other two forums elsewhere.

"Flaming" is relative...even here.

John D.
________
Motorcycle Tires
Last edited by JohnCD on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:50 pm

evasive - BFH - Big F***ing Hammer - Got a 20 lb sledge in the corner or the office right now! :wink:
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby gaviota » Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:12 pm

So....what are the manufacturers that use PC Chips as OEM motherboards? I want to know so I never make the mistake of buying one.
I wont say that PC Chips are a POS because I dont want to be called ignorant, I will only say that about 2 years ago the company I used to work for bought about 20 PCs with PC Chips 7456 LMRT (if I remember correctly) motherboard, and within a year absolutely all 20 of them had been returned to the vendor with some kind of problem. And it was impossible to install Win 2000 in them, they would only work with Win 98 or ME.
It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.
gaviota
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby BloodyVirus18 » Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:17 pm

Most of the PC Chips mobos out there are working just fine for the "PC Chips user base as a whole" as you well know. They're in millions of OEM computers all over the world, especially in Asia.

In my newbian opinion, the reason they OEM computers is because it's all they can afford. Like said earlier, You get what you pay for.

O, and whats flaming? 8O :?: :roll: :oops:
I couldn't afford a real ATX case, so i made my own out of elmers glue, popsicle sticks, and ducttape:)
BloodyVirus18
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:44 pm

Apparantly - according to JohnCD - flaming is when you ask for clarification by someone who resorted to name calling and off-hand remarks because you disagreed with him.

According to me - and remember, I'm ignorant - flaming is an insulting criticism or remark meant to incite anger or otherwise get a rise out of somebody, usually brought on by something the flamee said or implied.
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby BloodyVirus18 » Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:57 pm

O!! Thats what flaming is :roll:
My idea of flaming was a guy in tight leather pants with a shirt exposing his chest hair, talking with a lisp and walkin with a skip if yall know what I mean :D :mrgreen:
I couldn't afford a real ATX case, so i made my own out of elmers glue, popsicle sticks, and ducttape:)
BloodyVirus18
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:40 pm

Yeah - I know what you mean. I guess some people call that flaming too :wink:
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War