PC Chips Any Good??

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

PC Chips Any Good??

Postby Jinzing22 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:19 pm

I know i've come into contact with PC Chips boards before but i can't remember if i loved or hated them ... anybody have any good/bad experiences with PC Chips??!!?!?!
Jinzing22
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby BLACKCELL9999 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:23 pm

I did and it involed coke and Jack D well lets just say that's why i"m bulding a new computer now...dam girl beting me that I could not take 16 shots and you know what???...........she was right never ever have a drinking bet going on especialy when you have nothin in your tummy in the first place !!!

Puff..Puff..Pass..Puff..Puff..Passout !!! :twisted:
Puff...Puff...Pass
Puff...Puff...Passout
BLACKCELL9999
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby EvLwMn » Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:57 pm

My opinion only: Every PCChips mobo I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with was a POS. I have started adding a service charge on them when one comes in for troubleshooting and/or repair. Their tech support is nil, their website is no help and if you need drivers it's easier to pan for gold in the Pacific than find them sometimes.

I'd steer clear of them.

My $.02.
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JohnCD » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:27 pm

Jinzing22,

PC Chips is just as good as any other brand mobo. I've already stated/explained that statement a number of times here in detail.

Just pick a mobo with the features you want at the price you want...if it happens to be a PC Chips mobo in the end, get it.

It's that simple.

If you can find an identical ECS mobo (equivalent) -- and you probably very well CAN -- I'd go with ECS but not because ECS is better quality. Some people still will say they BOTH brands are "POS" but don't let such ignorance stop you.

John D.
________
How To Make A Vaporizer
Last edited by JohnCD on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:49 pm

Ignorance????? We were asked to give OPINIONS and I gave mine. So does the fact that my OPINION doesn't agree with yours make me ignorant???
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JohnCD » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:57 pm

Like you said, he was asking for opinions.

Yes, that was mine.

John D.
________
Motorcycle Tires
Last edited by JohnCD on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:00 pm

I see. So anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion is ignorant. Interesting.
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Toby B. » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:06 pm

Well here is my opinion - There are as many "horror" stories as happy stories about the PC Chips line of motherboards.

PC Chips boards are on the low end of the motherboard totem pole when it comes to reliability and tech support. PC Chips boards are sold under a massive list of company names:
    Amptron
    Aristo
    ECS/Elite Group
    Eurone
    Matsonic
    Minstaple
    PC Chips
    Protac

Just to name a few. It is my opinion that if you choose to go with PC Chips boards then be prepared for problems.

You will pay a bit more for other boards like the Asus boards, but you get what you pay for.

I personally have had no problems with the PC Chips boards in the machines I have worked on, but I did not overclock them and they were old Socket 3 boards so they were by no means considered performance boards. On the "new-builds" that I do I go with MSI boards for most of them.

Every person will have his or her argument one way or another on the PC Chips line of motherboards so basically it is just a matter of choice. I would recommend staying away from the PC Chips line if I could help it.

And the only ignorant part would be not taking into cosideration the uniform view of the PC Chips user base as a whole versus one or two people.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby JohnCD » Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:14 am

"And the only ignorant part would be not taking into cosideration the uniform view of the PC Chips user base as a whole versus one or two people."

Most of the PC Chips mobos out there are working just fine for the "PC Chips user base as a whole" as you well know. They're in millions of OEM computers all over the world, especially in Asia.

Most people don't even know what brand mobo is in their computer anyway -- OEM maker or brand name -- but it's very likely a PC Chips/ECS.

John D.
________
Digital vaporizer
Last edited by JohnCD on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:22 pm

All I can say is that I see a lot of fubar PCChips boards come through my shop and I'm all the time fixing/replacing them. As far as OEM - most of the boards I see that are OEM are Intel or some off brand board I never heard of (i.e. Freetech - another sucky board).

As far as most people not knowing what board they have well that's true. But we are not most people so if I can help another person keep from making a mistake I will do it. And IMHO buying a PCChips board would be a mistake.

But then again - I'm ignorant.
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War