What The F***

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What The F***

Postby Copper » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:19 am

Authorities said the youth model 20-gauge shotgun was thought to have been found in the boy's bedroom. It is designed for children and such weapons do not have to be registered.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090223/twl ... d0ae9.html

words fail me. surely the US goverment cant justify this in any way shape or form

and dont quote its our right to bare arms.
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:06 am

OK, here's some more accurate information...

In the USA, guns do not need to be registered. However, ownership is only legal for such a gun at 18 Years old (no criminal record, no mental problems) - his Dad must have aquired the gun - and foolishly NOT left it locked, but apparently left it in the control of the 11 year-old boy.

Note: Handguns and certain other guns require one to be 21 years old to own. One must be 18 to purchase ammunition.

Youth models, usually of .22 caliber rifles and often also shotguns, are ideal for Father / Son hunting or training - but cannot legally be owned by a minor. A wise Father would keep all guns secure as well as ammo.

His Dad (or Mom) likely gave him the gun, and evidently access to ammo.
The reporter is likely seeking to provoke an outcry to have guns registered, which would have accomplished nothing at all in this case.
When gun ownership was severely restricted in UK, shooting deaths and violent crime actually increased. This stupidity is akin to leaving car keys where kids might access them (or common and worse, practiced all the time in Minnesota, starting the car on cold winter mornings and letting it idle unattended and unlocked - I've read storys about kids walking to bus stop hopping into a running car and crashing into parked cars or houses. Again, registered car does not help - the adult is responsible for securing the equipment).

I wish that the article could have explained in more detail what long-term care the murderous boy requires that makes it impossible to jail him.
It is possible that his Father (if that's who aquired the shotgun and left it unsecured) may also be charged with negligence - but I would tend to focus on the boy's accountability.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Copper » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:04 am

thomas_w_bowman wrote:OK, here's some more accurate information...

In the USA, guns do not need to be registered. However, ownership is only legal for such a gun at 18 Years old (no criminal record, no mental problems) - his Dad must have aquired the gun - and foolishly NOT left it locked, but apparently left it in the control of the 11 year-old boy.

Note: Handguns and certain other guns require one to be 21 years old to own. One must be 18 to purchase ammunition.

Youth models, usually of .22 caliber rifles and often also shotguns, are ideal for Father / Son hunting or training - but cannot legally be owned by a minor. A wise Father would keep all guns secure as well as ammo.

His Dad (or Mom) likely gave him the gun, and evidently access to ammo.
The reporter is likely seeking to provoke an outcry to have guns registered, which would have accomplished nothing at all in this case.
When gun ownership was severely restricted in UK, shooting deaths and violent crime actually increased. This stupidity is akin to leaving car keys where kids might access them (or common and worse, practiced all the time in Minnesota, starting the car on cold winter mornings and letting it idle unattended and unlocked - I've read storys about kids walking to bus stop hopping into a running car and crashing into parked cars or houses. Again, registered car does not help - the adult is responsible for securing the equipment).

I wish that the article could have explained in more detail what long-term care the murderous boy requires that makes it impossible to jail him.
It is possible that his Father (if that's who aquired the shotgun and left it unsecured) may also be charged with negligence - but I would tend to focus on the boy's accountability.

sorry but i think this is a load of bulls***

THE STATE THIS CHILD LIVES IN DOSENT REQUIRE THAT GUN TO BE REGISTERED

you must be aware the the law varies from state to state
you might as well give your kids the codes to launch the nukes
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:56 am

Copper wrote:sorry but i think this is a load of bulls***

THE STATE THIS CHILD LIVES IN DOSENT REQUIRE THAT GUN TO BE REGISTERED

you must be aware the the law varies from state to state

that's fine, you don't live there/here....? think what you want, say what you want.

my say in it:
a) the kid appears to have some issues beyond the act done in the story
b) the kid shouldn't have access to the weapon
c) the kid shouldn't have access to ammunition
d) just because he used a gun doesn't mean he wouldn't have used anything else available/convenient in the house (i.e. knife/baseball bat/candlestick/pipe/wrench - a la clue); the kid had it out for the girlfriend, apparently even thinking enough about it to provide police w/ false information.

obviously only violent/disturbed children exist in pennsylvania, in the US.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:46 pm

In Montana all that's required for concealed carry is a valid Driver's License.

The USA has just managed to outlaw kid's offroad motorcycles and 4-wheel offroad vehicles (quite by accident, under a law intended to prevent sale of toys containing lead - and motorcycle batteries contain lead).

The problem here is a kid who was way out of control and irresponsible parent(s).

Luckly, if one is living in the UK, you would be 'safe'. After all, even pointy knifes are discussed for being outlawed.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:04 pm

The link in question is no longer providing what happened.

Very true it is that firearm laws can vary drastically from state to state. Try getting a handgun permit in New York City, I had one. And I'm not talking about a carry permit. Not a slam dunk in New Jersey either, want a carry in New Jersey, forget it.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby sloopdog 1 » Sun May 17, 2009 4:08 pm

thomas_w_bowman wrote:
Luckly, if one is living in the UK, you would be 'safe'. After all, even pointy knifes are discussed for being outlawed.

Recently one of the guys from our Norwich location was here doing service work on the machines.
He and I were talking about knives, I showed him a craftsman lockblade that is over thirty years old, about six inches long opened.
"Back home, that would get me arrested and locked up if I was caught with it he said."

Pardon my French, but that is dumb as hell,IMHO.Sometimes I feel sorry for people.

I did not show him any of my switchblades. :o
No keyboard detected-Press any key to continue.
sloopdog 1
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby CallMeSolace » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:33 am

Obama wants to put serial numbers on all bullets.
CallMeSolace
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby snakebite66 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Here in the UK we have very tight laws on guns....

Seems that in the USA in some states, the law is fairly loose on guns and bullets...

Not sure about USA, but here in UK we have a minority of so called 'parents' who have few morals and do not have the skills or will to bring up children responsibly...that 'given'situation can lead to unrest...thank goodness that here we have gun laws that protect us....

But we still have illegal guns on the street....mostly in the hands of criminals involved in criminal activity

fair enough they get hold of knifes and such....

But that said with a knife you stand 'some chance'

The gun is ultimate power, the ultimate weapon for those who are weak/strong you name it..... absolutely, deadly in the wrong hands, no question about it....

That is the problem in my view....
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Roach412 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:14 am

snakebite66 wrote:Not sure about USA, but here in UK we have a minority of so called 'parents' who have few morals and do not have the skills or will to bring up children responsibly...that 'given'situation can lead to unrest...thank goodness that here we have gun laws that protect us....

the US no longer has the moral or individual responsibility capacity to bring up children.

kids now have no responsibilities, no morals, no decision making ability, no remorse. it's all "i want. give me. i don't want to. that's not my problem."

i don't even have a gun (yet) and i think more responsible people should have them.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset