Let them go

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Let them go

Postby CivilDissent » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:59 am

With Obama's promise to shut down Gitmo, there is alot to be watched.

We would not want to hurt the feelings of anyone that has, or probably will, hurt or kill thousands of US citizens.

We should release everyone at Gitmo, apologize to them and their "families", give them each $1,000,000 for their pain and suffering and promise never to bother them again. (Being cynical, of course)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_ ... HrcaKyFz4D

Looks like letting them go, or handing them over to another government is not so smart after all.

Yes, hurting their feelings is more important than the death of our citizens.
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:11 am

if everybody keeps wanting to revenge there will never be an end to the suffering and killing. it has to stop somewhere and i think your new president is taking the first step
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ssamurai26 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:45 pm

While I agree with your overall message, I think the point is that they should not have been improperly imprisoned in the first place. If, for example, the police catch a murderer and don't follow proper procedure in apprehending them, then they risk having the murderer let free on technicalities as well. That is the downside to having a reasonable justice system. Sometimes the murderers go free, nothing new.
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:26 am

I am surprised though to see some former prisoners have joined al-quaida again. now how is this possible? did they flee from jail elsewhere or?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:38 am

Obama will be forced to deal with thses difficult problems thoughtfully, and so is unlikely to close Gitmo in less than a year I'd guess:
1) These 'insurgents' were attacking our troops, apparently without authorization from ANY Government, and certainly not uniformed. So the Geneva Convention does not apply, nor have they observed terms of the Geneva Convention; they take and execute civilian prisoners; they have displayed mutilated bodies of their 'enemies'; if they had this same issue it seems that they would simply behead any unwanted captives.
2) Other Nations worldwide have detained other of these 'insurgents', they do not want the ones we have
3) If/When released, it seems that they promptly will resume hostilities.
4) They are not citizens or even lawful 'visitors' of the USA (Passport ? Visa ?), as such they have no rights under the Constitution. Indeed, imprisoned Americans in Mexico might be treated much the same...
5)The simplest answer is to quietly and quickly execute them if clearing out Gitmo is an imperative, I seriously doubt that this would be a thoughtful course of action either.

It's easy to tell someone that what they are doing is wrong, but harder to define what would really be correct and right... The Presidential order is good media fodder - but the problem is still a very real problem.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby TriAngle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:15 pm

You're ALL missing the big picture. Get rid of the Zionists who created this chaos and mayhem, and you get rid of it all!
The Zionists will never stop! Until they are stopped.
That, my friend, is the bottom line.

Peace is fine and dandy. But, when push comes to shove, only the strong survive.

"Persons in power should be very careful how they deal with a man who cares nothing of sensual pleasure, nothing for riches, nothing for comfort or praise, or promotion, but is simply determined to do what he believes to be right. He is a dangerous and uncomfortable enemy, because his body which you can always conquer gives you so little purchase upon his soul." - Gilbert Murray

"It's through fear that the most unacceptable actions are carried out." - Tzvetan Todorov

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” - Winston Churchill

"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." - Buddha

"Truth crushed to the earth is truth still and like a seed will rise again." - Jefferson Davis

“In a world of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell

“Truth is one of the rarest commodities in the times we are living through, to expose it to the masses is tantamount to slapping the entrenched power structure of the United States in their very face, but which, at times, someone needs to take the risk and do, otherwise, and what we are seeing in America now, lies become the truth because they are more comfortable for people to believe.” - Vladimir Putin

"Truth Is Hate To Those That Hate The Truth." - unknown

"Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live." - Adolph Hitler

"We must take back...our culture, and take back our country." - Patrick J. Buchanan
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Deputy1515 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:26 pm

Personally I think that the 4th Amendment (right against unreasonable search and seizure) needs to be relaxed a bit. Too many cases are thrown out due to this amendment. The founding fathers did not mean for the the constitution to be hijacked as it has been by the court.

But back on topic... The terrorists held there would like nothing more than to kill us once they get out... and if you think they wont hold a grudge for being held for so long then you, my friend, would be wrong.
Deputy1515
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cw4cam » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:06 pm

evasive wrote:if everybody keeps wanting to revenge there will never be an end to the suffering and killing. it has to stop somewhere and i think your new president is taking the first step

Perhaps he could turn half of them loose in Chicago and the other half in DC. :wink:
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:08 am

cw4cam wrote:
evasive wrote:if everybody keeps wanting to revenge there will never be an end to the suffering and killing. it has to stop somewhere and i think your new president is taking the first step

Perhaps he could turn half of them loose in Chicago and the other half in DC. :wink:

That would solve the crime problem they have now but the cure maybe worse than the disease in that case...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Let them go

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:58 am

CivilDissent wrote:With Obama's promise to shut down Gitmo, there is alot to be watched.

We would not want to hurt the feelings of anyone that has, or probably will, hurt or kill thousands of US citizens.

We should release everyone at Gitmo, apologize to them and their "families", give them each $1,000,000 for their pain and suffering and promise never to bother them again. (Being cynical, of course)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_ ... HrcaKyFz4D

Looks like letting them go, or handing them over to another government is not so smart after all.

Yes, hurting their feelings is more important than the death of our citizens.

YOU ARE BIG JERK
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War