Peeve of the Day - First Volley - ASCII art(sic) handles

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:54 am

Other than the number of hubcaps that keep falling off, and the same VW bug that gets passed a dozen times during the whole scene, the Bullit car chase scene is awesome. One of the best ever.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend making it a blockbuster night.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby effika » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:13 pm

The Bourne Identity has one of the best car chases I've seen in years. It's a pretty good movie otherwise, too. Matt Damon just suddenly going ballistic on people, it's cool.
effika
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aussie » Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:55 am

I hope to have it by the end of July. I was thinking of a high performance head, port and polished of course. a turbo charger running maybe 8 pounds of boost. And of course a multi angled valve job. Along with some after market pistons [something to increase the compression ratio even more] and can't forget a nice exhaust system with a header. with all that i will probably nead some sort of 4bbl carb maybe 650 or 750 cfm

You obviously know very little about "overclocking" cars datektrader21 especially turbocharged ones.

Why bother with a high performance cylinder head when you can just bump up the boost and get the same result?

The money spent on a high performance cylinder head would be better put towards a specialty camshaft with valve timings designed for use with a turbocharger.

High compression pistons are a no no when it comes to turbocharged engines, especially with todays low octane fuel, you will simply destroy the engine under full boost due to pre-ignition (detonation) commonly called pinging.

It is quite common for turbocharged engines to be constructed with a low initial compression ratio so that high boost can be used without causing pre-ignition. This is often achieved by the fitting of a shim between the block and head or the use of dished pistons.

A huge four barrel carby like you are suggesting for a relatively small engine combined with a turbocharger is going to result in an engine with absolutely no low end or mid range grunt and bad turbo lag, hardly suitable for the street.

Due to the fact that a turbocharger is driven by the exhaust it is near impossible to run an exhaust "header" in the true sense of the word simply because the turbo has to be mounted as close to the intake as possible to minimise the length of the intake plumbing. The longer the intake plumbing the greater the turbo "lag" effect will be.

Throttle response in a turbocharged vehicle is usually typified by a delayed reaction to the pressing of the throttle followed by a severe boot up the backside as the turbo kicks in, this effect is known as turbo "lag" and any well designed turbocharged street vehicle will be designed to minimise this effect as much as possible.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby datektrader21 » Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:28 pm

Octane boost can give me the high octane fuel I want, despite its cost.

You may be right about the carb though, I am more use to dealing with large ford engines such as a 390 and 460.

As for my higher performance cylinder head and pistons, I was simply thinking of engine life. Putting so much pressure on stock "old" engine parts will inevitibly cause them to fail sooner or later, hence the newer stronger parts.

if i didn't have to leave right now i would go into it further.
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby skymanzero » Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:40 pm

Hey Aussie, Your australian so you may have heard of a car called the holden monaro or something like that. I've heard it can run with a bmw m5 with no problem. I've also heard that it is going to be the platform the rerelease of an american car called a pontiac gto. As for datektrader, your gonna want fuel injection if your gonna run turbos.
skymanzero
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby MoboCop » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:08 pm

my take for the street is that all muscle is a waste. A combo of comfort, style, and speed is what I want.

So I am working hard on some secret(non motherboards.org) money making projects so I can upgrade to a Z8 soon.

ZOOM ZOOM
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby wolverineman85 » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:20 pm

I think that my 1991 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon w/ wood panels is ideal. Its got a 0-60 time of 20 min. Now that is what i call speed...hehehe... :D
wolverineman85
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby skymanzero » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:41 pm

mobocop, you do realize that a z8 costs over $100,000! 8O :( For the price of a z8 you could buy a ferrari
skymanzero
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby datektrader21 » Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:25 pm

MoboCop wrote:my take for the street is that all muscle is a waste. A combo of comfort, style, and speed is what I want.

So I am working hard on some secret(non motherboards.org) money making projects so I can upgrade to a Z8 soon.

ZOOM ZOOM

next in the news: Motherboards.ORG is investigated for crooked book keeping, as the web site joins the big leagues with Nvida and Enron :P :lol: 8)
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby lyzar » Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:54 pm

I've seen a Z8 twice once down here in Atlanta and once in Raleigh both were silver. Totally sweet cars. I surely would be happy to have one. Although if I had 100g I might choose a calloway twin turbo vette (600+ hp and totally streetable, comfortable, and stylish - a real sleeper too).

I had a roommate that had an 87 Buick T-Type. That car was a blast. It couldn't handle for sh*t but it would flat fly going straight. He had put a larger mm turbo in it and had the motor rebuilt. He went through transmissions like crazy though. A neat turbo car is the 89 Pontiac Firebird they made very few of them but they had the buick v-6 turbo out of the Grand Nationals with the better handling of a firebird (not that a 89 firebird had top of the line handling but it was a great bang for the buck deal if you got your hands on one of them).

I recently saw a Grand National drop a drive shaft at the starting line at a drag track. He was staging up and built to much boost - when he let of the brake it made a loud noise and the drive shaft just fell to the ground at the rear end. I love the noise turbo cars make when they are staging up.
lyzar
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War