Hard Drives and quality

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What do you think is the better quality hard drive

Seagate
13%
Maxtor
34%
IBM
2%
Western Digital
48%
Other? please reply why other thanks.
2%

Total votes : 93

Postby evasive » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:02 pm

The BB series also have 1 year. The JB is the only series with 3.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:37 pm

The BB series also have 1 year. The JB is the only series with 3.

I understood that even if it wasn't made that clear in my post.

The Western Digital JB series was starting to look attractive if only for the three year warranty but my experience with this BB model has me thinking twice about that.

A three year warranty could only be a good thing, obviously WD has a little more faith in the JB series than they do in the BB, but how good is that warranty if you have to wait a month for the drive to do the RMA round trip to Singapore and back then you get back a drive "branded" reburbished that lasts less than 24 hours in service?

I'm the loser all round, if I make the customer wait the month for his RMA'd drive he is not going to be happy and if I replace it with a brand new drive out of stock I get back a drive that cannot, in good faith, be used in a computer that is to be sold as "all new".

Drive failures cost me cold hard cash, time and customer confidence in my product so it is a serious matter for me.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:17 pm

I agree you could not put the refurbished one in a system this young.

We have some extra in stock and use the refurbs for systems that we gave three year warranty on regardless if the drives only had one year. We have now stopped that and are giving only one year on the harddisk. Because we cannot afford to give three any longer.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:11 pm

I voted Maxtor, but they are much of a muchness. Have had most makes of Hard Disk and have seen lots of failures. Where I worked we had a 1.6Gig Maxtor that ran 24 hours a day 365 days a year for 5 years and was still going strong when I left.

Just pot luck IMHO.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby darthmarlan » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:35 am

I have had a few Seagates (small capacity 245mb, 2Gb) and a 4Gb Fujitsu that were all rather reliable. I was originally planning on getting a WD drive for this system, but there was a problem with delivery from my initial supplier, so I went with Seagate, and got another (slightly different model) when I added the 2nd drive, though after reading opinions on WDs I will probably head that way next time I need to add another drive.
darthmarlan
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:40 pm

I've slpit the risk. Now running WD as main drive, Maxtor as backup.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War