login issue using Firefox

Please post here with problems or errors you receive while using the forums. This is not for hardware tech support. If you are having problems logging in or registering please post here (you can post as guest - post the username you are having issues with - DO NOT POST YOUR PASSWORD)

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:08 am

The key word is "certificate" which indicates the site's trustworthiness, having posted its intent in honesty and user-friendly manners, and is registered with various other organizations. If the "certificate" has expired or is not currently distributed, then the Firewall program will block access by default.

Quoted from Windows "Help".. Certificates:
A collection of data used for authentication and secure exchange of information on nonsecured networks, such as the Internet. A certificate securely binds a public encryption key to the entity that holds the corresponding private encryption key. Certificates are digitally signed by the issuing certification authority and can be managed for a user, a computer, or a service. The most widely accepted format for certificates is defined by the ITU-T X.509 international standard.

See also certification authority; ITU-T; private key; public key; service.

From Verisign:
From a Google search:
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MrCraigCraig » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:30 am

Thanks Karl. That's probably what I was overlooking.
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby hunter1801 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:46 pm

Alright, I found a work-around for those of you (including me) who are still having login issues:

Problem:

Logging in through the main page doesn't always work. If you try to log in, it will sometimes take you back to the forum page, but you are still not logged in. Retrying sometimes works, but then all the new post markers are cleared, so you have no idea what threads have new posts.

Solution:

I have been testing this over the past 2-3 weeks, and it ALWAYS works (100% of the time) for me. Instead of logging in through the main page, click ANY forum (General, Tech Support, Gaming, ect). Then click on "New Topic" as if you wanted to create a new thread. This will require you to log in, so when the login screen appears, log in as normal. Then just click "forums" at the top of the page again, to return to the main forum page. This logs you in 100% of the time without any issues.

- So it appears that logging in from the main page is faulty, yet doing the work-around I mentions lets you log in fine. I don't know why that is, but thats the only way I have found to log in properly.

NOTE: It still logs me off every time I exit out of the website. So every time I come back, I have to log back in since it doesn't save. At least I don't have to keep trying to log in, then not be able to see new posts.
Last edited by hunter1801 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby filecore » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:47 pm

I found another pseudo-solution which seems to be working. Since the site works with the Internet Explorer engine, it occurred to me - using IETabs! For those who don't know, there's an extension for Firefox called IETabs which allows you to open IE-only websites within Firefox; what it does is opens them in Firefox but renders the page using IE's engine (which leads to slightly higher load time for the first page because it has to switch IE on...) - and it has filters, so I have set it to automatically load *.motherboards.org/* in an IE tab, so I don't even have to think about doing it. Works 100% and is a great way past the problem, as the IE part seems to (mostly) remember my details.
Home server: Asus P5Q Pro, Core2Quad, 8GB DDR2, ENGTX260 876MB, Zalman 800w, Antec P180 case, 2x1TB and 2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Windows 7 64-bit, etc

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Previous

Return to Forum Problems/Errors