Rebuished Items

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Rebuished Items

Postby spraks » Fri May 31, 2002 5:38 pm

should i get refurbished items?? do they have drivers and stuff or do i have to find them? on ebay they have these refurbished items for cheap but i don't know wheather or not to get them because i am scared of not gettin a driver thingy. they claim that it is barebone and oem... should i risk it?
"Don't Drink And Drive At The Same Time, U Might Spill"
spraks
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri May 31, 2002 5:46 pm

Most likely not. Prolly no drivers, no ide cables, no manuals, etc...

Has the same deals as OEM
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jeffa469 » Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:38 pm

These refurbished items have already failed someone once and are statistically much more likely to fail the second(or 3rd,4th...)time around. Drivers you can get, I'd worry more about hardware problems on refurbs. Often the refurbishment involves nothing more than reboxing the stuff and seeing if comes back a 3rd time. Often this works as some returns are just pilot error or incompatibility problems on some PCs.
IF you do buy refurb, just make sure you're not stuck with a Bum part and can return it.
jeffa469
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:07 pm

These refurbished items have already failed someone once and are statistically much more likely to fail the second(or 3rd,4th...)time around

Often the refurbishment involves nothing more than reboxing the stuff and seeing if comes back a 3rd time.

Usually the board is tested. If it works, then its repacked and sent back out. Alot of returns come back with nothing wrong with them, others do have issues and are repaired. If you ever find a board with a little black wire on the back or front, there was a problem in the original design and that is a correction (jumper wire). Or it could be a refurbed board with the jumper wire correcting the problem with the board.

We used to do this at Newbridge during Q&A and testing phases if something failed
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General