School Computers Suck!

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

The Disturbance
Black Belt
Black Belt

School Computers Suck!

Post by The Disturbance »

I'm in school now and we have like P166's. I can't really go from the school PC's to the Athlon XP (below) at home. These go soooo slow!! Also they put this program called Fortress 101 on them. It blocks you from like everything. And they make you go on ONLY school-related work in the library. If they catch you doing non-related stuff...they throw you off. :? And BTW I'm only 13 and I can build computers. LOL
Wolfgang Krebl
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by Wolfgang Krebl »

My most beloved machine is a

- AMD 80386 DX-40
- 8 MB RAM
- 540 Seagate IDE-HDD
- 5. 25" and 3.5" FDD
- Trident ISA 1 MB graphic card
- Phillips 761 AW General Midi soundcard
- DR-DOS

And I won´t trade it for all Athlon XP or such in the world!!! **ggggg***

btw, not the machines are too slow - the users are!!! :twisted: :twisted:
GuKorean
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by GuKorean »

well school computers arent made to play quake iii at 120fps and they arent made to surf pokemon websites during school hours. what they are made to do, however, is typing up reports, and getting information on ure science fair project. and they do that pretty well. why should school pc's be 2.4ghz p4 with 1gb ram? it would be a huge waste of money and your school wouldnt be able to afford other goodies such as paper. they are made for a certain task and they preform that task well.

the reason they use this fortress program which you speak of is this: YOU ARE IN SCHOOL, THEY WANT YOU TO DO SCHOOL RELATED WORK. what makes you think its fine for you to use school computers for anything other than school? when you're at home on your own computer do whatever you want, but at school, do your school work, trust me, you'll be better off if you do.
asus a7v333 w/raid
amd athlon xp 2100+
512mb ocz pc 2700 rev 3
40gb ibm 120gxp hdd
asus 40x12x48 cd-rw
panasonic floppy
ati radeon 64mb ddr vivo
Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Hardware Junkie »

I was working on SX-33s in high school for a few years until they got a few P120s. They all ran Windows 3.11. Eventually in the last year they got some P3 600 machines which were really cool.

The network was more secure then the PCs on the thing. Which makes sense, as anyone with a boot disk could turn a node into thier own personal box.
[i]"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier[/i]

[url=http://www.windowfarms.org/][img]http://homegrown.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/window-farm-iconic3-150x150.jpg[/img][/url]
Happen
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Happen »

Man when I was in school we had commodore 64s and when I hit college I had a dx 66. so don't fell bad. I even still have my own commodore in its box. I never use it but I just can's seem to throw it away.
missouri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by missouri »

When I was in high school calculators still had little rolls of paper in them and u were suspended if u got caught using them....and you walked( yes walked) to the library.....
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by andrey »

heh, we got Imac's for our library computers (locked from unlimited access using one program or another) and for our Newspapers, (not locked, WOOHOO!) and we got old P166 running AutoCAD (can you belive it? AutoCAD on a 166???) in architecture, locked with foolproof but has net access.

there not that bad..just takes a while to boot up and load the programs.
________
Ford SAF picture
Last edited by andrey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by datektrader21 »

Man I have only been out of high school for two years but I remember all our computers being decent we had g4s and p3s all over campus but still some teachers insisted on having an apple 2e's to keep track of grades.
Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Hardware Junkie »

and you walked( yes walked) to the library.....

My gawd. 8O
How ancient...thankfully we installed transporters...walking would be unthinkable...

What's next? Actually having a conversation face to face? Unthinkable...how would you emote? :lol: :lol: :lol:
[i]"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier[/i]

[url=http://www.windowfarms.org/][img]http://homegrown.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/window-farm-iconic3-150x150.jpg[/img][/url]
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by Porphyria »

A couple of years ago (like 5 or so) my parents had what was known as a fat Mac. It came out with a ground breaking 512k of RAM. I remember I used to play the ancient frogger game on it. What are Commodore 64s?