how long?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

how long?

Postby flingz » Wed May 29, 2002 9:04 am

how long will it take me to put together my cpu if i have a asus a7v333 athlon xp2000+, antec plus1080 case, 256mb 2700ddram, 60 gig ata133 maxtor drive, cd, cdrw,floppy,ge force 2 or 3 card, 56k modem? how many hours will this take me if i have all the parts sitting in front of me with all the tools i need (I dont yet but soon will). Also, I am open to comments on the gear im using.
Thanks!
Flingz :P
flingz
Initiate
Initiate

Postby somedude » Wed May 29, 2002 10:07 am

Dude,

How fast are you? :D
Seriously, it depends on your experience. But why do you even care?
Well, let's examine the following scenario:
- unpack mobo
- rtfm
- install cpu, wiith fan and grease
- install ram
- install video
- hook up power
- test minimal configuration
- unhook power
- pull video card
- install drives
- install mobo in case
- install case fan(s)
- install cards
- hookup drives, audio and other headers (usb, you name it)
- double check for shorts and badly installed parts
- hook up power
- fire up rig
- have a beer
- close box

Now try to time all this and here's your answer.
"I can't buy that. Only management guys with big salaries like me can afford that...
Guys like me! I'm a guy like me!"
Homer Simpson :)
somedude
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Wed May 29, 2002 10:15 am

- test minimal configuration
- unhook power
- pull video card
- install mobo in case

That's funny I always just put every thing in the case firstImage it should only take you about 30 minutes to an hour depending on experience, of course that can drag into days if you have hardware problems or if you need to get an rma. lately I have been having a string of boards requiring an rma. perhaps it is because i skip those steps.

- have a beer
or maybe its because i have one to many of those before i even get started. you know how it is at 9:30 in the morning ImageImageImage
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby somedude » Wed May 29, 2002 12:40 pm

You know what's funny? Every time I assembled the dam'' thing outside of the case it worked like a charm. If I tried to get it going inside, I had failures. Go figure!

As far a s beers, if I tip a couple before I get started, I FRY stuff. So I always reward myself afterwards. Unless I'm really thitrsty, in which case I stop working. Unless it has to be done right away, in which case ... you figure it out. :wink:
"I can't buy that. Only management guys with big salaries like me can afford that...
Guys like me! I'm a guy like me!"
Homer Simpson :)
somedude
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Thu May 30, 2002 4:58 pm

- rtfm
- install cpu, wiith fan and grease

might want to modify that a little by adding heat sink (after wiith, changed to with), fan, remove stock phase change compound, and add artic silverIII, or just leave phase change compound- just remember to remove the plastic/ whatever covers the compound prior to installing on cpu (on a hard , flat surface ouside the case (i used the shuttle antistatic foam under the mb, on a wood floor- easy to steady the screwdriver against your leg while negotiating the hsf clip)
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to General