bios

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

bios

Postby flingz » Tue May 28, 2002 7:58 pm

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here, I'm going to be building my first PC here in a few weeks. I'm going with the Asus A7V333 and I'm pretty confident that I will be able to put the computer together physically. I'm just worried about setting up the bios and everything. I heard that this motherboard has a very lenghty and detailed manual. When I read the how to build a PC article on here it made it sound like my bios would be configured for me automatically when I start my pc, if I have a nice mobo that is. My question is, will my bios be done automatically? Or will I have to manually alter it? And if so, will it be easy for me to do, being I barely even know what bios means?
Thanks so much :D
Flingz
flingz
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue May 28, 2002 8:11 pm

Oh it will be easy as cake. People would only change the bios settings from default if they are having problems, and the percentage of people who have problems to those who don't is about 1%. You could alter some settings for disabling the sound, or changing the FSB, etc, but those aren't necessary to get you up and running. Possibly it may come with a lower FSB than your CPU and RAM runs efficiently at, so you may want to change that, that is it though I believe.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

forgot...

Postby flingz » Tue May 28, 2002 8:17 pm

im putting in a xp2000+ or xp2100+ havent decided yet,
oh what the heck heres the rest
256mb ddram
antec plus1080 case 430w i believe
cdrw drive
cd drive
60 gig ata133 maxtor hd
ge force 3 ti card (not sure yet)
cheap floppy
cheap modem
rounded ide cables
win xp

so will i have to change the FSB if i buy either of those cpus?
thanks and I can't wait to get started!!!
flingz
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue May 28, 2002 8:22 pm

Nope, what I meant was, I don't know if the board comes stock with the FSB of 100mhz or 133mhz, probably 133mhz nowadays. This determines your CPU frequency, as your multiplier is say 12.0, you multiply 12 * 133mhz to get your CPU mhz. You may want to change the AGP Aperture size in the BIOS too, to 128mb, but that is not necessary, only recommended.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby andrey » Tue May 28, 2002 9:13 pm

you'll do fine, you rarely have to adjust any settings on a modern mobo to get it up and running, but if you want to experiment/tweak it, then yes you'll have to dive into the BIOS. otherwise, you should just be able to put everything together, turn it on, and it should boot up. if it doesn't, well thats what were here for :)

and btw BIOS is "basic input output system" in case you were wondering :)
________
Ford Quadricycle picture
Last edited by andrey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Tue May 28, 2002 11:58 pm

That board has allot of jumpers but it has a mode that allows you to make your adjustments in the bios, so if you don't want to do much make sure your board is set to the jumper less mode or else you have to configure your voltage and fsb manually. The speech post option is nice, because it tells you exactly what is wrong without having to decipher annoying beeps.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to General