How do i.....

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby The Pizza Boy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:53 pm

Thanx for the fix Toby. And thanx for the link gem but its over my cranium. Well i formatted Max but it started to load up the setup files. I let it finish that but force quit my comp. With those setup files on that harddrive will that not allow me to use it as a storage device? I still cant get my puter to recognise that i have Max in IDE three still. SO according to my drawing do you suggest i get an adapter like i had it in the drawing???
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:21 am

From what i read out of this post, you want to wipe a hard drive that has a valid OS on it, and reinstall the same or other OS to it. While in a system with another or the same OS that is active. The optical drive is not important at this point.
If there are system files on that hdd, then the active OS from any drive will protect them from being deleted. You can, however, enter a "command box" similar to a real-mode DOS situation, and use the commands to do the FDISK or FORMAT from there. While the OS is in either "safe" mode or "normal" mode, you cannot do this easily or at all.

The best advice is to have the desired drive for working on installed in the system by itself, in a primary master position. The optical drive could be either on the primary or secondary IDE hub.
There is no third IDE port on very many mobos.. only certain server-type mobos. If you have a third IDE port, it would be via an add-on device card. This link for a photo of the Mobo shows only two IDE ports. The other ports are SCSI, right? Definitely not IDE type!!
Simply explained: have only the desired drive to work with installed, plus the optical drive. Set the Bios boot preference to the CD-ROM as first choice, then the hdd. Allow alternate boot paths.
Now power up the system. Have the OS install CD in the drive. DO NOT allow the system to proceed with a hdd boot process! Reboot if necessary, so the CD becomes the first boot of choice. You will see a message at the bottom of the screen, "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM" or to that effect. You will have only a few seconds to respond.
Now select the install process. Delete any/all partitions, and exit the program. Shut down, and restart. This is so that any install files which may be in memory are erased, for a clean slate. Now power up, repeat to the install "act" and form the desired partitions. Next do the format of the hdd, and then the install program will copy required files to the memory, prior to the actual install. If you require the RAID drivers, have them on a fdd, copied from the mobo driver disk. Press the "F6" button when prompted during the first part of the setup, so the OS install program knows there will be specific 3rd-party drivers to secure.
Have the fdd in its drive, and when needed, the OS install will read and use them.
The rest should be easy.

An alternate would be to have the hdd in a system by itself, and use a Win 98 boot disk which has the needed commands on it, to delete any/all partitions that exist. Even if they are NTFS partitions, Win 98 can recognize them, but not read them.. and can delete them as "non-dos" partitions. The volume name must be exact. You could always use a "blank label" for the hdd partitions, prior to deleting them.. use the "LABEL" command, and just press 'enter' to use a no-name designation.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby The Pizza Boy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:50 pm

BAH ive had a lightbulb go on in my head thanx to gem....now lemme implement it and get back to ya....
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby The Pizza Boy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:22 pm

:mb_dollar:: :mb_dollar:: :mb_hiphurray:: :mb_party2:: :mb_dancebanana:: :mb_dancelocks::

WOOT I GOT IT!!!! SO SIMPLE!!!! ARG!!!!
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Previous

Return to General