How do i.....

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How do i.....

Postby The Pizza Boy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:52 pm

format a hardrive i got that has a previous windows XP on it? Do i have to use my current win xp cd to do it or can i format it from windows just like formatting a floppy?
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby krung krung » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:24 pm

i think you can do both sir.. but im more of using the cd in formatting a harddrive...
LIVE STRONG!
krung krung
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby The Pizza Boy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:36 pm

So im just trying to get my bios or mobo or whatever to detect the drive and so far i cant. But i dont know that the other drive has XP on it but i just need to erase it and use it as a storage type device for my media.
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby krung krung » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:53 pm

The Pizza Boy wrote:So im just trying to get my bios or mobo or whatever to detect the drive and so far i cant. But i dont know that the other drive has XP on it but i just need to erase it and use it as a storage type device for my media.

things that i double check whenever experiencing that kind of problem is checking the cable(master and slave) or the jumper setting of the harddrive. also try clearing the bios. i hope this helps though i know you already knew this things :wink:
LIVE STRONG!
krung krung
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby The Pizza Boy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:26 pm

Problem is i dont know what jumper setting i need for the HD but i do have it figured out where to plug it in at
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby krung krung » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:51 pm

The Pizza Boy wrote:Problem is i dont know what jumper setting i need for the HD but i do have it figured out where to plug it in at

sir is that a sata or ide harddrive? if it is an ide just remove the jumper from the hardrive and do a cable select. if it is a sata drive just plug the cable to the number 2 slot of the mobo(wherever just make sure that the primary harddrive you have is in the number 1 slot) and configure it as a slave in the bios... hope this help you a little. :wink:
LIVE STRONG!
krung krung
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Southwind25 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:47 pm

Most drives have the jumper settings on them. If it's a PATA drive I would set it to slave on the On IDE 1 with the current boot drive set as master. Setting drives to cable select tends to confuse bios.
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:06 am

Those images of hdd jumpers from Gem should be in a "stickies" for references!

Always check the label of a hdd.. should be a small diagram of how to set the jumpers. If not, look at the PC board under the unit. There may be letters such as "MA", "CS", and "SL" by the jumper location. No jumper settings on SATA-type drives. Cable assignment port sets the order.
One of two easy ways to reformat a hdd: Use an install CD for the desired OS. Select the install process, but first delete any/all partitions. Exit, shut down with none formed. Wait about 30 sec. for power to dissipate in the memory banks, then restart. This will ensure that any previous files or viral forms are deleted, totally. Now redo the desired partitions, and format in your preferred style.. either FAT32 or NTFS. Then install the OS on the primary partition. Done.
The other way is to use a Windows 98 boot disk, to delete any partitions. Shut down in the same manner, and restart. You can form partitions, but will have only the FAT32 choice for format. When using a boot/service disk, remember to do the "sys" command so the hdd is bootable.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby The Pizza Boy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:31 am

The HD i got is IDE and a maxtor. I will have to work on it later but thanx for the help guys! Im off to work.
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to General