multiboot windows linux question!?!?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri May 31, 2002 11:00 pm

You could also use AEFDISK /delall to whipe all the paritions from a drive and install a blank MBR.

http://www.aefdisk.com
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:27 am

wyrm, it showed up in win98fdisk as one of my logical dos drives w/in the extended partition, it would appear to be deleted, then show up again.
i think the ext3 format was within the partition, which was the hunch i had, so i went to linux fdisk and the drive listed partitions 1-5, so i just started attempint to delete the partitions (d=delete) down the list, nothing to 1, found success w/ #2, then the list showed 1-4, so i went down the list and tried to delete 3-4, w/ nothing done, so i went back to win98fdisk to confirm it's removeal, and it was gone- relief!

so i figured i'd try again w/ the same procedure of partitioning w/ win98 fdisk (no format), then formatting w/ disk druid (found linux fdisk a little tough to use- disk druid was easy, and has a nice graphical depiction of all your drives.

what i need to do is have a computer just for linux, and then run through all aspects possible w/ partitioning and formatting w/ linux fdisk- has a lot of functionality (the other situation is you want to get on w/ the installation, so you use what works, and gives results- couldn't spend the time at the moment- i think i finished the linux install somewhere around 1:30am, which is way to late!)

the linux fdisk looks to be set up simply, as d= delete, l= list, m= help (didn't match though), x= extended features/ expert only- i did check it out and tried my best to use it- disk druid was easy- path of least resistance (though this is not always best, sometimes the path of least resistance means failure to do things correctly). what i did worked, though inefficient timewise.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby len444 » Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:57 am

:arrow: :!: HJ, looks like aefdisk would be great under commercial applications where time=money- saw a command line example for doing a primary, extended, and logical dr w/in extended partition- all in one command line!

noticed the registered copy is $30us, the unregistered has reduced functionality (shareware)- some great links HJ for resourse sites(others were bootdisk.com, linuxiso.org, and probably a couple of others!)!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Previous

Return to General