fan air filters?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

fan air filters?

Postby GuKorean » Mon May 27, 2002 7:05 pm

does anyone use air filters with their case fans? if so, how does it affect airflow? and also, how well does it do its job?
asus a7v333 w/raid
amd athlon xp 2100+
512mb ocz pc 2700 rev 3
40gb ibm 120gxp hdd
asus 40x12x48 cd-rw
panasonic floppy
ati radeon 64mb ddr vivo
GuKorean
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tolemac » Tue May 28, 2002 2:42 am

I don't use them where I am at currently due to serious dust levels, but I would recommend it in places where there is not so much dust as just stuff floating around. Used dryer sheets seem to be very popular, as they allow a goodly amount of air flow while blocking a good percentage of debris. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jeffa469 » Wed May 29, 2002 2:36 pm

I use Two Intake fans with filters, to do the job of one unfiltered fan. It does keep things clean if you take care to seal off(or filter) other passive air intakes in the case. The alternative is regular cleaning.
jeffa469
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Reader » Thu May 30, 2002 4:45 am

I've got the Lian-Li case with two filtered fans in the front. This intake passes by the hard drives and helps keep the case cool.

The filters were designed for use in a PC Case and resemble the kind of heating/AC filters rated as "permanent" or "renewable" in that category. You can take them out, wash them in warm soapy water and replace them.

They DO collect a lot of dust and the internal components in the case ARE much cleaner when you open it up.

I don't find that they restrict air flow in any way, but there are TWO of them. It's only reasonable that the air flow will be slowed somewhat.

These case fans are adjustable to Low-Med-High settings. Mine are always on Medium and aren't noisy at all.

It's probably important to note that the rest of the case is pretty airtight, and I assume that makes a difference in the cleaning effect. The three other fans (2 on power supply) are all OUT TAKE fans.

Bottom Line: I can see the dust they're grabbing before it gets in the case and I rarely disassemble my internal components to clean them all with a vaccuum, so I figure it's doing those internals some good!
reader
_ _ _____ _ _
"There we were, lost in the Wilds of Afghanistan without a corkscrew. Forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

W.C. Fields
Reader
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to General