Question about 2 IBM hard drives!

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby len444 » Tue May 28, 2002 10:24 am

you need to have a RAID card on your mobo in order to use RAID

andrey-
i have seen references to setting up software raid- noticed that option in linux, think it can be accomplished w/ other os's as well- generally best to have a seperate controller, or better, a seperate cpu and memory on a raid card for best performance- then you get into 32bit/33mhz, vs 32bit 66mhz, and 64 bit/ 66mhz pci card/slots, all progressively more expensive!, but i've seen reference to software raid, which would more than likely be in a mirroring config to enhance data security (at least that is what comes to mind?).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Tue May 28, 2002 9:24 pm

I set up a dynamic volume only once in school because none of my computers has more than one hard drive. :( It's kind of long and detailed so here is a link to the topic on MS tech support. There are links to many related topics from there.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?url=/WINDOWS2000/en/server/help/dm_dynamic_overview.htm

I've only done this in Win 2000 but it appears to be available in XP as well. Here is a link to some XP info.
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308424#2
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Wed May 29, 2002 5:31 am

I forgot about XP home. :oops: It cannot use dynamic disks, only XP Pro can.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Wed May 29, 2002 7:32 am

:arrow: :?: wyrm, is the term 'dynamic volume' used to describe a software raid (thanks for the links, great to learn about enhanced functionality!) ? actually appears to apply to simple and spanned volumes, as well as raid- newer approach to hdd management- i'll look into this further!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Wed May 29, 2002 7:58 pm

Dynamic disks and dynamic volumes can be used in conjunction with RAID, but it is not strictly for RAID. When used for RAID windows controlls the mirroring or striping between the drives itself, eliminating the need for aditional hardware. It also adds the option of RAID 5, a really cool fault tolerance technique. Or you can simply use dynamic disks or volumes just to keep things simple by "seeing" only one drive or to bypass the four partition-per-drive limitation. (With XP you can have up to 2,000 dynamic volumes on a single disk!! MS recomends no more than 32 however.)

It is kind of unknown because it was introduced in WIN2K, which still has not seen much penetration into the home market. At businesses where WIN2K is more common, the network admin takes care of the only computers with multiple drives: servers. It is a cool tool if used correctly and I am suprised you don't hear more about it. Maybe as XP Pro becomes more common, you will see it used more often. I hope the secret system admin society does not come after me for letting the cat out of the bag. :D
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Previous

Return to General