building new computer. ppl, gimme ure thoughts

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

building new computer. ppl, gimme ure thoughts

Postby GuKorean » Sun May 26, 2002 8:30 pm

hey ppl, i'm giong to build a new computer, my first one actually. i've been browsing around for about a month now picking out parts and such, and here is my current configuration:

CPU..................AMD Athlon XP 2100+ :D

Motherboard......ASUS A7V333 (KT333) w/raid

Memeory...........Kingston 512MB PC2700 DDR unbuffered :?:

HDD.................IBM Deskstar 7200 RPM 80GB 120GXP oem

CD-RW.............Lite-On 32x12x40

Floppy..............1.44MB 3.5"

Modem.............Creative Modem Blaster V.92 PCI 56k w/voice oem

Network Card....Netgear FA311 10/100 MBPS PCI oem

OS...................Windows XP Home oem

i already have a decent video card so there's no point in buying another one and the motherboard has pretty decent sound built in so i'm not going to spend money on a sound card.

anyone that might have any suggestions please feel free to post them, i'm shooting for a price of about us$1010. i've read reviews on all of these products and most of them seem to be pretty good, if anyone has any experience with any of these components tell me the pros and cons

also if anyone that knows of a good online vendor with cheap prices and good service, i would love to know about it. i plan ordering all of the items from as few shops as possible (preferably just one) to minimize shipping costs. i'm lookin at newegg.com, i've ordered form them before and they seem to be verry good.

and one last thing. does anyone have any experience with colorcases (www.colorcases.com) their cases are hardcore kool looking, but how is air flow and ventilation? how hot do they get inside?

thanks to anyone that reads through my lengthy post and thanks to all of those that comment.
GuKorean
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Aibohphobia » Sun May 26, 2002 9:18 pm

Looks quite nice. I don't know if you didn't add them here on purpose or not, but you of course should get round cables for your devices. And fans that will work well in the case you select [350w atleast]. Also which HSF are you thinking of getting? Volcano 7+ [with ASIII]is recommended by many here, and a certain someone would recommend an Arkua, so I will too so that he cannot make a post in this topic. I've never bought from colorcases.com, but if you do you should get an aluminum case as they cool better than others. Also, I don't know about that OS, winxp home edition.. many people prefer professional but I forgot why.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GuKorean » Sun May 26, 2002 9:29 pm

hmm hsf... i dont know much about em, i was just planning on using the one that comes with the cpu. i dont intend to overclock or anything so i figured i would save some money. are the included hsf so bad that i should consider an upgrade just to be one the safe side?

i decided to get xp home because it was $50 cheaper than pro. all i know about either is that pro has multi processor support and home doesn't and since i have no plans for multi processors i'd save the $50. i guess i should look into it. what os do you use? $50 doesnt seem like to much if it will help system performance.

thanks for your help, peter.

i forgot to say in my previous post, but i've recently started dabbling in 3d modeling and animation so if anyone knows of anything that would help performance in that catagory please do tell me about it.

thanks for your help peter.
asus a7v333 w/raid
amd athlon xp 2100+
512mb ocz pc 2700 rev 3
40gb ibm 120gxp hdd
asus 40x12x48 cd-rw
panasonic floppy
ati radeon 64mb ddr vivo
GuKorean
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Aibohphobia » Sun May 26, 2002 9:38 pm

No problem GuKorean. The one with the CPU is always crap. You should just buy an OEM processor and get a better hsf if you can. Often the included hsf's let the CPU near the 60*C mark or even higher! at 60*C damage starts being done to the CPU that will shorten its life by muy mucho. I have ran XP before, but I play computer games, and XP doesn't work too well with my system, so I run Win98SE for now. The differences between Home and Pro are listed here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article10-002 , so Home probably would be better for you. A better video card would help 3d applications run better, if the one you have is not that good.
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby andrey » Sun May 26, 2002 11:32 pm

peter. no offense,

but I am running an 1800+ with a shuttle Ak31 mobo and two case fans, and according to BIOS and MBM, I get 42 idle and don't get over 50 under sandra's burn in test. this is with the DEFAULT HSF, and DEFAULT thermal pad.

(this is with two case fans, it DID go over 50 without the case fans)

I suspect that the 2100+ will be a little hotter, but not by much.

Hold off buying a seperate HSF combo. get your current system running, if you don't like the temps, then go ahead and buy a volcano 7 or something.
________
extreme vaporizer
Last edited by andrey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aibohphobia » Mon May 27, 2002 1:47 am

Well, nonetheless the temperatures of the CPU always depend on the case temp, so, do get good case air-flow.
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GuKorean » Mon May 27, 2002 6:13 am

thanks for the tips everyone. i intend to have at least two case fans, probably three, so i dont think heat will be too big of a problem, i think i'll just see how the temp is with the standard hsf and if the temp is getting too high i'll buy a new one. either way, i do have some thermal compound left over from a previous cpu upgrade which i intend to use in place of the thermal pad, so that should gimme a bit of an advantage as opposed to the standard thermal pad.
asus a7v333 w/raid
amd athlon xp 2100+
512mb ocz pc 2700 rev 3
40gb ibm 120gxp hdd
asus 40x12x48 cd-rw
panasonic floppy
ati radeon 64mb ddr vivo
GuKorean
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to General