The End of TV as we know it?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:11 pm

Either way I'm safe with my digital cable box from Time Warner.

The analogy of cassette to CD is easy enough, but we didn't broadcast cassette regulated by the government, did we?
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Oylpann » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:17 pm

I have to agree with most people here. I rarely watch TV. I get my weather and news through the internet.

When I do watch TV, I have cable so it doesnt bother me either way. :)
"You cant hug your family with Nuclear Arms"

Asus F2A85-V Pro
AMD A10-5800K APU @ 4.5GHz
8GB G. Skill 1866
550w PSU
Hyper 212 Evo
Oylpann
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Peanya » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:38 pm

Sabrewings wrote:Either way I'm safe with my digital cable box from Time Warner.

The analogy of cassette to CD is easy enough, but we didn't broadcast cassette regulated by the government, did we?

That's the thing, the FCC is the one regulating the air waves, not what is broadcast (As far as the switching over is concerned). They're giving them time to overlap. With my analogy, I'm comparing analog to digital. The government will be forced to not stand by its previous decision, and will allow a lot more time.
The television companies need to come out with a set top tuner that's inexpensive enough to make the switch happen faster. Who wants to pay $500 for a box that won't give your current television any better of a picture?
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:50 pm

There was talk of free subsidized converters for those who need it. Sound idea in theory, but in practice I don't think it will hold up.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby S33K3R » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:06 am

landincoldfire wrote:
Who's got time for T.V.

I must agree with that, between work and being a parent I have to give up sleep to get comp time.
:mb_iagree::
S33K3R
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:59 am

I seldom watch TV programming, due to the common theme of most of the programming.. air-spam garbage! Give me a decent movie channel, or CNN or weather info, or themes to do with mechanics or electronics.. then I am interested! Some late-night shows are good, but past my bed time!

The current analog broadcast method is utilizing a many-decades old format. It was intended for black/white images, with one sound channel, plus sync data. We now have stereo sound, closed-caption info, and color data within the same narrow bandwidth! To provide a better quality signal, the bandwidth must be increased, and there is no room in the current spectrum to do this. The new spectrum will be an entirely different bandwidth of frequencies, and in digital format, which is mostly impervious to interference and "echoes" or ghosting. It will, indeed, render older sets obsolete, if they cannot recieve the newer signal frequencies. With a suitable converter, they may still be useful, for a while.
Over-the-air boradcasting will still be viable, perhaps for around another 10 years. Then, it will all be via satellite, which covers greater area at less cost per watt than land-based transmitters.
The bandwidth for a typical NTSC TV channel is around 50 Mhz, with useful frequency space of around 40 Mhz. The remainder is regarded as "guard band" or silent signal area, to prevent cross-talk and interference on adjacent channels.
With satellite broadcasts, the bandwidth is over 150 Mhz, with room for all the data to be transmitted, plus several stereo channels and sub-carriers. With the K-U band satellite system, you can effectively cram up to 10 normal analog channels into a digital format, and each one will not suffer greatly in quality. The cost per transponder or transmitter is great, and by sharing the costs with other providers, it is more economical than land-based transmitters.
Choosing between a small dish or the "big" dish? The higher the frequency, and the smaller the dish, the more prone you are to atmospheric anomalies.. such as heavy cloud cover, snow storms, and downpours. With the "big" dish, you are not as affected, but heavy snow loads reduce the antenna's effectiveness. You have to shovel snow off, so you can watch tv!! The dish on both types is only a reflector.. the actual antenna is less than 1-1/2 inches long! It sits in the "bulb" or feed horn at the focal center of the dish. With the present satellite system, there are over 30 satellites, 22,300+ miles out in the heavens.. (The "Clarke" Belt, named for the scientist/writer Arthur Clarke who concieved the idea) transmitting up to 24 K-band stations, and up to 32 additional "K-U" band signals, each. Want to channel surf with a satellite TV? Consider more than 4,000 channels to browse! This includes video and audio channels. Rates compare favorably or better than CATV providers. Without satellites, tho, there would be no CATV service as we know it!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to General