Who Is Your Favorite Memory Company

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Who Is Your Favorite Performance Memory Company

Crucial
40%
Corsair
30%
Mushkin
6%
OCz
17%
Geil
7%
Centon
1%

Total votes : 125

Postby EmilyB » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:35 pm

Doc Overclock wrote:I cannot vote as I am running the poll, but look at my quote I use Crucial and Corsair in my personal systems...There is my vote mate... :arrow:

Crucial :mb_heerleader::
EmilyB

Postby snap355 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:59 pm

EmilyB wrote:
Doc Overclock wrote:I cannot vote as I am running the poll, but look at my quote I use Crucial and Corsair in my personal systems...There is my vote mate... :arrow:

Crucial :mb_heerleader::

I guess you miss the part of crucial and corsair but I get your point :lol:
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby colinJohn » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:45 pm

Doc says: Why even make this post then and waste space?? Question Question

Because I wanted to make the point that it might not matter that much. There's an unwritten assumption here that we all overclock - we don't. If you don't overclock most memory does what it says on the label.

I've used Samsung, Crucial, Kingston, PNY, IBM, Compaq and a bunch no name brands in my time. They all worked fine.

Doc replies: Now that is a more informative and viable post,,thanks!!
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Ghen » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:47 pm

crucial's memory is too expensive. I prefer PQI, PDP, or mushkin for low prices. I follow Sabrewing's thinking and say Geil's the best for quality.
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:51 pm

From personal experience... Corsair and OCZ with corsair slightly on top :wink:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby ben2207 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:56 pm

Doc makes a good point on compatibility. While I love Crucial in my main system, I prefer Kingston's HyperX DDR when testing .

I also use OCZ in my 2nd PC.

Take that for what it's worth :) which is why I said silly me
ben2207
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Doc Overclock » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:22 pm

Crucial Ballistix is used in every test we run unless it is not stable as in some rere cases we come across,, during testing though we usally run some Kingston and Corsair just to see how atble things are. For just plain stability IE; no overclocking all the value memory from most of the companies is stable. There are systems however that are memory picky and that is usually a mobo problem not a problem with the memory.. :!: :!:
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby Peanya » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:37 pm

colinJohn wrote:
Doc says: Why even make this post then and waste space?? Question Question

Because I wanted to make the point that it might not matter that much. There's an unwritten assumption here that we all overclock - we don't. If you don't overclock most memory does what it says on the label.

I've used Samsung, Crucial, Kingston, PNY, IBM, Compaq and a bunch no name brands in my time. They all worked fine.

Doc replies: Now that is a more informative and viable post,,thanks!!

Actually, I don't see any assumption about everyone overclocking. Over 99% of computer users never overclock. I didn't overclock until recently. Yes, most memory will work as intended in many systems, but not all. Remember when the AMD64 first came out? Only ONE brand of memory worked with every system: Crucial. One brand would work in every system with some timing adjustments: OCZ.
Computer builders can tell you that some brands have been a nightmare when it comes to compatability, just like some boards being picky too. In time you might get the experience to realize this.
The good news is most memory out today is more compatable than it was a few years ago. The prolems with incompatability is diminishing. The biggest differences we are seeing is twofold: overclocking capabilities, and latencies. For some systems, there's a night and day difference in performance between 3-4-4-8 and 2-2-2-6 memory.
Now if you've never had any memory issues, you're either very lucky, or haven't been around much :lol:
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby colinJohn » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:47 am

Now if you've never had any memory issues, you're either very lucky, or haven't been around much

well both I guess :wink:

I'm old enough to have used punch cards to programme a computer the size of a football pitch with as much power as a pocket calulator and use CPM with 8" floppy disks, when they really were 'floppy' :roll:

Last year I built about 20 machines and stuffed memory in another dozen or so (all for friends, family and neighbours). I had two problems with memory. One was simply a faulty stick that the guy had bought from ebay. The other was when a friend bought ECC RAM by mistake which was incompatible with his machine. All the rest worked without a problem.

I've yet to build a state of the art machine (that's my christmas project) - the ones I get involved with are for average users who don't benchmark, OC or even run games. I suspect when you're playing with new, high end gear at the limits it becomes more critical what memory you use.

I tend to have more problem with power supplies :cry:
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:21 am

I love Curcial Memory. As of late I have just been using what I can find though (like AzenRam) and so far I have been lucky...
I found that Kingston was the only stuff to be used in Macs, but I never really liked it in a PC Desktop..
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to General