Is there a special way to "break in" a new PC &

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Is there a special way to "break in" a new PC &

Postby Flyin » Sat May 25, 2002 10:09 am

I was reading a review of Samsung's DR333 PC 2700, and one review went like this:

"have now ordered a second stick of the Samsung ddr . when you can run a clean 202x8.5@1.71g with me KR7a then you have a "winner" .
burn stick in slowly ,allow samsung to come up slowly and you'll have mem stick second 2 none . as always "txs" to newegg for great service and prices with a selection that righteous :)"

:?:
Flyin
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 25, 2002 10:33 am

They are talking about basic "burn-in" principles. You never take a new system to the highest it can overclock right away. You're just asking for trouble doing that. Always give it a small overclock and then run such progs as SANDRA benchmark for several cycles, or 3DMark 2001SE for 5 or 6 cycles. Something that will tax the system pretty good, and will show you any weakness right away. Once you've gone through the benchmarks and it appears to be working correctly, then up the numbers a little bit on your CPU and RAM and then do it again. Keep doing this until it goes unstable, and then back it off a notch or two and you now have a maxed out system. It is a slow process but one that will yield the best results. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Sat May 25, 2002 11:00 pm

download sisoft sandra, and do burn in with memory, and cpu only, and set to low/background setting, and let it cycle continuous overnight, next evening set to medium- the way i did it was to work on loading os, installing components, adjusting bios, and then called it a night, and let sandra burn in wizard run overnight, then it was a resumption of loading components/ troublesooting/ repartitioning hdd, formatting and reloading os, drivers, ect... then let burn in wizard run continous overnight again- think i spent 3-4 days straight negotiating w/ the system, as well as some errors on my part helping to drag it out- so the low stress 'annealing' (as atang might say, was performed, which is supposed to be good for the system (phase change compound on the bottom of retail hsf's like i used, takes some time to melt, and compress down, allowing better cooling.

i'd probably set the burn in wizard to low background for first night, medium for second overnight, and high for final overnight- by then you'll be close to getting all the drivers loaded correctly, bios tweaks, system temp verifications, ect... here's link to sisoft sandra 2002:

http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/

and how to build pc guide:

http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... 924_1.html
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby James Cotter » Sun May 26, 2002 5:00 am

If you are not going to overclock your system for the first month or so do you still have to take these steps or is this just for overclocking?

Thanks,
James :D
James Cotter
Initiate
Initiate

Postby len444 » Sun May 26, 2002 7:35 am

:arrow: :idea: :!: you want to check the system build out for integrity, stability, and performance/ benchmarking, and tweaking/ fine tuning for best performance/ stability- sisoft sandra is a place to begin w/ diagnostics/ burn in (some inaccuracies exist w/ sisoft sandra, but performs a useful function). i did a high stress burn in overnight, and the cpu temp went up to 40.5degC, and settled back to 37degC (w/22degC case temp- as per sandra) after closing the burn in wizard- why don't you download it, and check out it's features, and advice for tuning (warnings, tips, ect...). one thing you will want to keep an eye on is system temps, w/ 50degC being an upper threshhold, with 40degC+\- being desireable/ attainable.

so the responce to your question is- it's good to evaluate, tweak, and 'burn in' your system build regardless of whether you overclock or not!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to General