Surround sound for an ignoramus

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Surround sound for an ignoramus

Postby roscoMan » Sat May 25, 2002 5:52 am

I'm going to be upgrading soon but I don't know enough about sound. I want surround sound and would prefer on board sound. With 6 channel on board sound, will I need an AV amp to process the output or can I plug my PC straight into an active set of speakers (e.g. the new Klegg setup).

The answer may be "depends on the motherboard". If so, I was thinking about the Asus A7V333 (I want a fairly serious system).

Thanks for all help
roscoMan

Postby James Cotter » Sat May 25, 2002 6:52 am

Hi Rosco

This is the way i do it (though admittedly it is quite an expensive solution). I have a sound card with an optical out and i have connected it to a Dennon home cinema amp. I select spdif out on the card settings and Power DVD and let the amp deal with everything. DVD's sound amazing this method if you ask me 8) . This would also work with a motherboard with optical out (my preferred method of connecting sound components).

Another way of doing this (and more affordable) is to go with a creative solution. They have 5.1 speaker systems specially set up for computers and they run with their sound cards or other ways of connecting, just look at the creative site.

Good luck,
James :D
James Cotter
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 25, 2002 12:07 pm

Welcome to the Mother Board!

While James's solution is very viable, it is, as he said, expensive. I have a Sound Blaster LIVE! 5.1 card and a set of Creative Labs speakers. I will be upgrading the speakers to the 5.1 surround set that is only $100.00.
You simply plug those into the speaker out of any on-board mobo. I'd wait on the Asus board until Doc comes out with his review.

James, that Denon is a good system. I have a Nakamichi AV1 that kicks ass as well. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby James Cotter » Sun May 26, 2002 3:45 pm

You might find this link interesting :D

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardw ... akerguide/

Hope that it helps,

James

P.S Nice one Toley, I am a fan of Nakamichi myself, opted for the Denon 3802 this time though.
James Cotter
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Sun May 26, 2002 4:22 pm

Ah yes. High end computers, and high end stereos. It doesn't get any better than that! 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General