The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Processor Temp?
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 5:20 pm 
Green Belt
Green Belt

Does anybody know what the average tempeture of an AMD XP1700 chip should be? Nothing is overclocked are anything like that.

I have it in a Shuttle AK31A mobo and right now, it is showing at 122/50 degrees, that's farenheit & celcius.

Thnx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 5:30 pm 
Black Belt
Black Belt

Is 50*C @ full load? When you say average temps, are you meaning @ room temperature, or with the variable of the inner-case temps? The higher the chassis temp the higher the cpu temp. The average temp is probably 50*C so you are not near to inflicting damage on the CPU at all. How high are your case temps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 5:42 pm 
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

my XP 1600 is running at 45c CPU temp and 33c case that's 111f and 91f respectively of course that's not under full load, it usually goes up 1 or 2 degrees c when i play a game. like Taylor said its not good but not to bad either. are you using any thermal grease i recommend arctic silver 3 as it lowered my CPU temp by about 2c also Be sure you have a good balance between air coming and going out of your case if not you can create a vacuum or an over pressure of air in the case either will increase CPU temps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 5:56 pm 
Black Belt
Black Belt

Playing a game does not make the cpu under full load, only running a thing like SETI or United Devices Agent will make it under full load continuously. You can probably apply the VIA tweak to help in idle temps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 12:17 pm 
Green Belt
Green Belt

Well I guess I am referring to room temp, since I don't have SETI or anthing like that running yet. Also I only have fans for the cpu & the power supply fan.

I will be purchasing a new case soon since this one is a cheapy and I've seen some much better cases.

As of this post my current temp is: 47c/117f and the system been running about 30 minutes. I just wanted to know if this is about average?

Thnx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:21 pm 
Black Belt
Black Belt

Okay that's pretty hot then. It shouldn't be getting that hot so fast since it is not even nearing the max of you cpu power. Mine runs full load at 36c case temp/52c cpu temp, but without side on it goes 30c/44c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 2:45 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Actually Peter, it will get to that temp and higher at just idle if you don't have case fans and a good heatsink/fan going.

BittaBrotha, what case are you getting and does it have at least two case fans in it? Also, what heatsink/fan do you have?
You are looking for an average temp of nothing higher than 55*C at full load, and nothing higher than 40-42*C at idle. Just to give you my example, my 1700+ overclocked to 1900+ and running UD (number cruncher) 24/7 which is most definitely close to full load, my temps don't go above 43*C even on hot days. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 4:44 pm 
Green Belt
Green Belt

Tolemac wrote:
BittaBrotha, what case are you getting and does it have at least two case fans in it? Also, what heatsink/fan do you have?

I really haven't decided on the case yet, but looking for a good one. The case I have now have only the cpu fan & the PS fan. The heatsink fan came with the AMD processor, retail version.

Maybe I will look into a better HS fan. Right now I've put this system together about 2 weeks now and its kinda unstable. I believe it could be from some cheap ram I bought, so I've ordered a stick of DDR 256mb from crucial.com.

Thnx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 7:07 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

The retail heatsink from AMD is crap! I don't like it one bit. Get yourself a good copper one. As you may know, my personal preference at the moment is the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ along with Arctic Silver III thermal paste.
How much money are you going to spend on a case? There are several out there that are good and can be had for not alot.
Yes, the RAM could be the problem if as you say it is cheap. There are some things on a computer system that you simply cannot go cheap on and they are the RAM, CPU, Mobo and the Hard drive. This does not mean don't go for a bargain when it comes around, but make sure you're getting quality parts for the money you are spending. 8)