Installing a new motherboard...

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby somedude » Thu May 30, 2002 1:33 pm

Dude,

RELAX!!!

I never saw a post like yours!

There's a good chance your hardware is ok.
A fried cpu just doesn't do anything, being fried and all. The hard drive can get corrupt when things aren't right, sometimes even damaged.
Jus try to boot from the cd or a rescue floppy, fdisk the hard drive again and format it.

If you still get errors while you do that, then you may have a setup problem.
Just to be sure, go to the bios and set the bus clock to 100 or 200 MHz, not to 133 or 266 (I don't know what your bios might say, one or the other).
Once it's stable, if the cpu runs at 266, then you can change it later.

You need good cooling, plenty of watts from the power supply for it to run at 133/266.
Make sure your ram, which I seem to remember it's PC100 is set to run at 100, not 133.
"I can't buy that. Only management guys with big salaries like me can afford that...
Guys like me! I'm a guy like me!"
Homer Simpson :)
somedude
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby VogueBoy » Fri May 31, 2002 5:58 am

Ok with much reluctance I fdisk-ed my hd, and formatted it, and now its clean of all the dirt it collected over the years. And it was a lot of dirt. But here`s my prob: I did all that, then I copied the I386 directory to my computer (it took a couple tries I think something might be wrong with my CD-ROM at one point it says `file not found`and quits copying, then I have to start the copying again, and it goes through the file just like any other one) anyways after a long long time I finally copied the i386 to my computer and I ran winnt from there. It asked for the location of the winxp files, I entered it, and then it started copying files. Big blue screen, says `Please wait while windows copies files to your computer` and in the corner you can see what files are being copied. So it does that nice and quick but then it just gets stuck. It stops. After a certain file (can`t catch which one it goes too fast) the screen stays the same except that I hear no noise coming from the comp to tell me its doing something, and where there used to be the names of the files being copied, is a blank, gray, background now. Nothing moves on screen, and nothing moves inside my computer. So I did the same thing but off of my CD-ROM, and guess what, it starts copying files just the same, then gets stuck, just like off the harddrive. I don`t know what I`m doing wrong or if I`m doing anything wrong at all, please if you`ve ever seen anything like this, help me out.

Thanks,
Vogue
I bet I can run faster scared, than you can mad!
VogueBoy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby VogueBoy » Fri May 31, 2002 6:03 am

I may have spoken too soon. Being the genius that I am I decided to leave the computer to do what it wants to while I type up this message, and it turns out that the computer was doing something after all, when I came back (like 2min later) it was copying more it seems, or maybe extracting or something...so nevermind, crisis averted.

Eeeeeeexcellent...

Vogue
VogueBoy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby VogueBoy » Fri May 31, 2002 9:16 am

Boyz boyz boyz (and gals, of course *nervous chuckle*) I'm dying out here. Everything's messed up and I think its all because of one problem, but I don't know what that one problem is. Maybe someone out there can help me out. Here's what I know and what I find peculiar possibly. Its an ASUS A7A133 mobo (SDRAM not DDR), AMD Duron 1.3GHz, 320 Mb RAM (64PC100 + 256PC133 <-- could that be a problem, they worked fine together before on my P5A-B). When I enter the BIOS setup screen (you know when you press del after startup) and go to advanced and under CPU speed instead of giving me the Manual, 900MHz, and 1270MHz (or close to those values) it gives me Manual, 500MHz, and 667MHz. All the jumpers (at least I think that's what they are, its like a little box with 10 switches on it) on the motherboard are set to off. That's the way I got it. My 40G hd is a prim. master, the CD-ROM is a prim. slave <-- does that make a difference, could that pose a problem? I've tried installing winxp but very very very VERY often it gives me an error that it can't copy a certain file, then when I retry it does it fine, sometimes the retry doesn't work even after 20 or so psychotic smashes of the return key, and then again sometimes it copies the file on the first run through. I've copied the i386 directory off the winxp cd onto my harddrive and tried installing from there, but the farthest I've ever gotten was to the point where it says that the dos portion of the installation is over, I must restart. I did, then I chose my partition to install it on (there's only one partition...the hd) it asked me whether I wanted to convert to ntsc or something like, some system that won't work with other operating systems. Whatever, I said continue as is, checks computer, restart, do the same thing over agian, checks computer, goes on to either copy more files, or maybe extract some or something, anyways 1/2 way through whatever it was doing it crashed. C-A-D didn't work, reset was the only option. Screwed everything up, had to restart installation, did so, this time chose ntfs (ntsc, ntfs its all the same to me) it checked comp, it restarts, chose all that again, restart, check, choose, restart, check, choose, restart, check... after about the 5th time I got pissed of and realized I was getting nowhere. Then I tried installing win2k, and that never got to the point of choosing where to install it, it never could finish copying all the files off the CD (I don't know why), then I tried win98, and that's the closest I've gotten today to having an os on my computer. It copied all the files, it went on to ask me info, CD-KEY, then configured all its stuff, then went on to detect plug'n'play stuff and on the few tries I've had to install it, it crashed on the 2nd run. But it always got past it to where I had to install drivers or whatnot for my video card I think. It showed me the blue screen of death a couple times, but allowed me to proceed, and I did, but to no avail. It would get stuck somewhere every time, and the blue screen would come every time, never did manage to finish installing windows and now I'm wondering if it was my hardware setup that's messed up. I can tell you this little thing I found somewhat peculiar: When the comp starts up and everything, it states mobo name, cpu name, memory, prim. master, prim. slave, sec. master, sec. slave, then next screen is like a box with some info, and below it a list of devices. Now I don't know what a bus is, but the first column of that list is Bus No. and for every device the bus no. is 0, except for a "display controller" which has a bus no. 1. Now I don't know if that's how its supposed to be, sure I could restart this computer and see if similar information shows up, but I'm a lazy guy, besides even if I knew that that's not supposed to happen I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to how to fix it and I'd be back here waiting for a reply either way.

So for the umptieth time, thanks to all those who are reading this, and please if you can help me, do try. Thank you.

Vogue
VogueBoy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby somedude » Fri May 31, 2002 10:04 am

Dude,

Let me look at your manual. It looks like your mobo isn't configured.
You could do the same thing, if you think you're up to the task (I don't mean to insult you, it's really up to you).
Just because the jumpers came that way, it doesn't make it right.

I will try to download the manual and see what I can come up with.
There's a good chance that the pc100 memory doesn't like the settings. It may have worked well before, but now it's just too slow for the new mobo (possibly).

Try removing the pc100 stick, for now. See if it gets any better.
"I can't buy that. Only management guys with big salaries like me can afford that...
somedude
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby somedude » Fri May 31, 2002 10:16 am

Doesn't look like the CPU is configured. Check the following:

The bunch of micro-switches that are all set to OFF are called DIP-Switches. The groups of golden pins that stick up and have little plastic caps on two of the pins, are called Jumpers.

For jumperfree cpu configuration (in the BIOS), the JEN jumper must be in the 2-3 position(check the manual if you're not sure). You will find it right above the dip-switch block.

Boot the computer and press Del to go to the BIOS.

Go to the CPU page (Advenced Setup) and check that you have the following settings:

Manual settings
CPU/PCI frequency: 100/33
CPU/Memory Frequency ratio: 1:1 if you want to use the PC100 ram or 3:4 if you only want the PC133 memory. I would suggest to use only the pc133 ram. The extra 64M that you get isn't going to help much. Take the speed over the quantity.

Post everything you see on that BIOS page.
somedude
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby VogueBoy » Fri May 31, 2002 10:48 am

OK, here's what I did. The JEN jumpers were in 2-3 already, I took out the PC100 (64M), and I changed the CPU/Memory frequency rate to 3:4 and here's what it all looks like

DESCRIPTION ~ SETTING ~ AVAILABLE SETTINGS

CPU Speed ~ Manual ~ 500MHz, 667MHz
CPU Frequency Multiple ~ 5.0x ~ 5.0x - 13.0x
CPU/PCI Frequency ~ 100/30 ~ up to 166/42
CPU/Memory Frequency Ratio ~ 3:4 ~ Auto, 1:1
CPU VCORE Setting ~ Auto ~ Manual
CPU VCORE ~ 1.750V ~ can't change
CPU Level 1 Cache ~ Enabled
CPU Level 2 Cache ~ Enabled
CPU Level 2 Cache ECC Check ~ Enabled
BIOS Update ~ Enabled
PS/2 Mouse Function Control ~ Auto
USB Legacy Support ~ Auto
OS/2 Onboard Memory > 64M ~ Disabled

for the last couple things on that list you can have it either enabled or disabled, I didn't bother writing it down...

Hope that helps, I'm gonna go see if it changed anything.

Vogue
VogueBoy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby somedude » Fri May 31, 2002 11:16 am

OK, now we're talking:

Set it to:

CPU Speed - Manual
CPU/PCI - 100/33
CPU/Memory - 3:4
Leave the others as they are.

Reboot and go back to verify if the settings stick.

Then change the CPU/multiplier to 13x
That should set it to 100 x 13 = 1300MHz

Let me know, i'll be online for a while.
somedude
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby VogueBoy » Fri May 31, 2002 11:30 am

k I did that, saved, restarted, went back to the bios setup and checked the cpu speed and its still on manual/500/667 so I restarted AGAIN!, didn't save this time (even though I changed nothing), now I'm gonna try installing winxp again....but you can assume it'll get stuck 1/2 way through copying stuff to c:/windows again....dagnabbit...I'll post when it happens...

Thanks a lot by the way...

Vogue
VogueBoy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby VogueBoy » Fri May 31, 2002 11:34 am

another little peculiar thing that happens is when I do the installation, I start it off of my harddrive and it says 'copying files to your computer' or something along those lines, and it starts copying like mad. The thing is that the progress bar doesn't show up. Then at some point it stops. Like completely stops, waits about 2-3 minutes, then the bar shows up and it keeps copying...then when its done I restart, tell it to install windoze on my comp, and it starts copying some more, then when its 1/2 way done with that it gets stuck again, this time though it either gets stuck completely or it just need more than 5 minutes...ctrl-alt-del btw does not work when it gets stuck a 2nd time :)

Vogue
*gets his sledgehammer ready*
VogueBoy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Return to General