H'drive partition?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

H'drive partition?

Postby missouri » Thu May 23, 2002 10:50 pm

Installed a new hardrive and someone recommended partitioning.....
I created a primary partition with OS (xp pro) 4.5gb.
now i'm confused ...tried to create a second parti. but I keep getting 2014mb lodgical w/33,xxx mb unallocated....
using a partition magic 7.0 bootdisk....
can anyone give me a brief explanation on cluster sizes..lodgical...extended....how to etc.

when I went to info i noticed this "does system support fat 32:no"
which is confusing because it was Fat 32 before...
when i changed the primary partition to FAT..it was 2.1gb ...

I tried to do this with XP disk maint. but I am only given the NTFS option so i tried the PM 7 bootdisk

HP P3 850mhz. secc2 100mhz bus...384mb sdram.....P2B-VT mobo....40gb h'drive.....XP OS
missouri
Initiate
Initiate

Postby atang1 » Fri May 24, 2002 12:29 am

When you partition physical and logical drives, you have to have a plan before you use fdisk. First deciding on how many drives. The last one is recommended to be the smallest drive.

This is important because of the fact that to use each logical drive, you have to move to that drive. Or assigned to that drive and work within it(if you run out of disk space you have to delete some data).

I always hoped that I can link 4 physical drives into one continuous drive. The advantage is obvious. Raid links two drives.

But when you want to use multiple operating system, such as Win 98, Win2k, Linux, and other Unix; and boot from each; logical drives are handy.

You have the simple task to fdisk again. Yet you wnat to complicate things by learning Partition Magic? Either way, you have to know how to divide up the drive first?
atang1

Postby somedude » Fri May 24, 2002 8:51 am

Missouri Dude,

If you're gonna load XP, it needs NTFS. Why would you want FAT on it? Just use the XP disk and partition the hard drive.
You will need one primary partition which will be the default active partition. This is the one the O/S uses to boot. The remaining space should be set as an extended partition, which can contain logical disk drives.
So the primary partition will be C: and the extended partition can contain one or more drives, say D: and E:.
After you define the primary, say yes when fdisk asks you if you want to use all that's left for the extended partition.
Then define logical drives and use as much space as you wish for the logical drives, keeping in mind that the percentage relates to the extended partition and not the total disk space.

I hope this helps.
"I can't buy that. Only management guys with big salaries like me can afford that...
Guys like me! I'm a guy like me!"
Homer Simpson :)
somedude
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Fri May 24, 2002 10:07 am

somedude, I use FAT32 on all of my XP machines and it works just fine. You only need to use NTFS if you require the extra security it provides, such as if you have your system on a network or domain.

missouri, I use PM 7 all the time, and it works quite well. Fire it up again with PM 7 and reformat the entire drive with FAT32. Once it's done reformatting, set it up to have at least your C drive as 6 or 7 Gb as you will use it with XP. It's a lot bigger than the other OS's and you'll need the room. Then tell PM to create whatever size partitions you need for the rest of the drive. It will, as you know, ask you to verify everything before implementing it. Check your decisions and then partition away. You also have the option in PM to set the C drive as the primary bootable drive, so it does it for you.
Let me know how you get on with it. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby missouri » Fri May 24, 2002 11:41 am

Tolemac.....do u have to create a extended parti. and then put lodgical parti. in it or something...when I try to create the 33,xxx the program runs on and on and won't go past 70% finished.....so I created a 10,000mb parti....but when I try to parti. the remaining 23,000mb. I get a 2014mb. parti. on the C: drive which is now the 2nd parti., so i'm losing something in the instructions which aren't that hard to follow... :oops:

Yet you wnat to complicate things by learning Partition Magic?

why I used PM, XP didn't preform the partition when asked to on install, not complicating just learning! ....there are also simple surgeries and simple rocks to climb, I couldn't do either without a lot of help....I hope your four physical drives and multiple OS dream becomes a reality for you but that would be complicating things for me....just learning. :D
missouri
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Fri May 24, 2002 12:43 pm

When you set up the partitions, it will ask you how you want each drive designated. C will obviously be the Primary and bootable, with the rest of the drive as an extended partiton, that you can then divide up into logical partitions if you want. I'm not seeing how this is a problem as PM7 does it all for you with a minimal of user imput. :wink:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby missouri » Fri May 24, 2002 3:11 pm

:lol: :P When I create a partition in the extended , in the slide bar I see where the second parti now is labeled c and I don't go any further...having never done it i probably just need to keep going but it didn't look right...ur right it should be easy I just wasn't sure...i'm gonna finish it and if it's screwed up use f-disk and do it before i install OS...thanks.
missouri
Initiate
Initiate

Postby missouri » Fri May 24, 2002 7:21 pm

:D I now see what u meant by easy....I just dwnld. the Part. Magic and ran it 8O :roll: :wink: :lol: :D ...I was using the BOOTDISK....problem solved! thanks tolemac
missouri
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 25, 2002 7:14 pm

You're quite welcome! 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby somedude » Mon May 27, 2002 5:53 am

Mr. T,

I was just making a point. I guess I shouldn't have said "needs NTFS". I believe that NTFS is superior to FAT and should be the preferred file system on NT, 2000 or XP.
"I can't buy that. Only management guys with big salaries like me can afford that...
Guys like me! I'm a guy like me!"
Homer Simpson :)
somedude
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to General