Any programs to check OS files???

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Any programs to check OS files???

Postby jmstacey » Thu May 23, 2002 6:40 am

Now, I went and deleted a whole lot of files from my computer. I think I accidentaly deleted some needed file by my OS (Win ME). Is there anyway to check if they were important and I need them. I don't really want to reinstall my os. So far at least, everything works :D
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu May 23, 2002 8:22 am

Not within Window ME, Windows 98 had a tool called SFC, that was not included with Windows ME, that could do the job but they removed it for some reason.
You could run setup from the cab files. Overright your current install. Stops you from losing data (if that is your concern) but programs have to be reinstalled.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jmstacey » Thu May 23, 2002 8:28 am

Can I download the SFC program somewhere?
-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby jeffa469 » Thu May 23, 2002 6:08 pm

WindowsME replaced SFC with SFP(system file protection). If you delete a system file it's automatically replaced, which can cause problems of it's own(ME can replace DLLs and such with it's prefered versions). Long and short if it is ; it's not likely you're missing critical systems files as ME makes it much tougher to get rid of em. More likely a Borked registry is causing problems. If you could copy SFC from a win98 disc it might just work in ME, but I've never tried it. SFP is effectively the same thing except it automatically fixes the problems it finds(so they say) and is always running.
jeffa469
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby jmstacey » Thu May 23, 2002 6:18 pm

I deleted the file because it was the source for a bad update on cnets catcup. It fixed the problem once I deleted it and I guess it wasn't a required file because it still hasn't come back :D
Thanks for the SFP infor jeffa469!!!
-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aussie » Thu May 23, 2002 8:40 pm

System File Checker still exists in WinMe it's just been moved.

Start/Run/Msconfig.

You'll find it in there somewhere, maybe an Advanced section or something - it's a while since I've fiddled with an ME machine but I do remember stumbling across it in Msconfig.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General