How to make Mozilla Firefox even faster!

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby kltsin » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:57 pm

ilusha55 wrote:Well, I would like to make a statement here
IE is a more solid browser than FF or Mozilla IMHO.

The Auto fill feature is irreplaceable in my opinion - Mozilla just got some sort of clone but it doesn’t work the way it is meant. Then, in IE you have the "memory" that catches everything that is typed and recall it every time you type something similar (in Google for example).

You say: the speed. I say that most of pages are developed for IE and I think they will be for long time (Microsoft is a chief).

Then you may say extensions: well, once I needed a site (this to be exact http://mp3spy.ru/en/) to play a piece of music when I clicked. You may think I downloaded an extension and OK. No! I got all of them checked and downloaded (which is not a good thing either). Neither WMP nor Winamp got this music streaming and I got so tired of always searching for "extension" that I used IE for a first time over a long period of time.

It is low speed browser - but it works
I mean when I make a transaction over an Internet I just can’t trust Firefox which extensions are made by its own users. Just can’t. I am sure each person has his own site where he just closes FF and goes to IE because of some sort of trust in IE. There’s this wave of Firefox being the best browser - but it doesn’t mean that IE got worse. And even the version 7 is coming this summer.

For an ending go here --} http://www.gamespot.com/ and observe with your Firefox.

I beg to differ on some points.

The autofill works fine in FF, some web sites have security settings to disable this so things like credit card numbers/Social Security #'s arent left behind... But the google search INCLUDED with FF always shows everything I typed in the past.. Try double clicking in a text box ;) ...

One of the things that makes FF so much more liked is that it is SAFER.
Mozilla FF has 8 unpatched vulnerabilitiesat this time, at a moderate rating.
MS Internet Explorer has 78 Security Vulnerabilities at this time, at a HIGH rating.

3 of Mozilla's 8vulnerabilities that are rated at moderate all deal with SPOOFING, (See this for details), which can be easily turned off, the rest are minor issues and some what improbable.
IE on the other hand has many more issues, since its integrated so much into the OS it can affect the OS and make it highly unstable and vice versa.
IE allows ActiveX scripts this is a huge vulnerablitiy, MS JVM also is more vulnerable than Sun microsystems Java plugin that FF uses for Java apps.

Now why didnt that page stream your music?
Is it a hidden activeX script or a vulnerable Java code... Im not sure, some very good java applications were written exclusively for MS's code and wont work in FF using the plugin.
But any Java app should be considered a threat since it is basically a application and can do alot of damage.
As far as ActiveX scripts... this is a hazard, I can only think of one sight I trust to run a activeX script in and thats microsofts own windows update page.
In the above instances I would open IE and use that.
You may reiterrate that you can set IE's security settings on high and this wont be an issue, this is true but who really does this, also since its very easy for a malicious program to change those settings since IE is a basically apart of the OS you can become vulnerable very easily without knowing about it.

FF being opensource and having extensions and being debugged by thousands of people should actually make you feel more safe than ANYTHING.
Think about it, FF website isnt just linking every extension they come across, all of these guys know code and how it should be used, they review the code before linking to it. Try doing that with secondary apps for IE... Impossible!!!
Opensource is an incredible way of getting things done, This forum is using PHP, an opensource product....

IE has been UNstable since the day the bought it, its an old design thats patched occasionally to fix CRITICAL threats..

Without secondary apps and downloaded as is.. FF has RSS, Tabbed browsing, better FIND (text search in a page), Pop-UP blocker, Google search built in, 4.7mb download.... Its faster, more options, etc...
The extensions are just the icing on the cake, and its a hell of a list of icing choices.

I dont get the link to gamespot though, I go there all of the time, looks and loads great.
If you are refering to FF showing garbled info or they dont look right. Some websites arent validated in html, FF may have issues showing these sites. Any web designer/webmaster I know all uses and checks their website with a Validater and actually prefer using Mozilla or Opera over IE for personal use (they mainly don’t use a windows based system anyway...but have to, to see how the hmtl/css looks in IE for formatting reasons).
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby ilusha55 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:08 am

I don’t know. May be there’s something wrong with me, but it just doesn’t feel right to me to use the software that is not integrated with OS and some other soft. May be you are right, may be I am right. We’ll see with IE 7. Don’t tell me you are not going to check it out because it may be fantastic like it could be total unchanged browser
ATHLON 64 3000+
ASUS A8V Deluxe
512 MB Crucial
PLEXTOR 716A
ilusha55
Initiate
Initiate

Postby kltsin » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:21 pm

ilusha55 wrote:I don’t know. May be there’s something wrong with me, but it just doesn’t feel right to me to use the software that is not integrated with OS and some other soft. May be you are right, may be I am right. We’ll see with IE 7. Don’t tell me you are not going to check it out because it may be fantastic like it could be total unchanged browser

Your opinion is taken and considered, I was trying to show some facts.
The truth is the simple fact that since IE is a part of the OS is what makes it so dangerous to use.
If you had to download IE or Opera or Netscape or FF which would you choose..
Microsoft XP/NT has a built in firewall, how many companies do you think would rely on it to protect their systems.. Just because it came with the OS.

Hell MS Paint came with windows, isnt Jascs Paint Shop Pro better or worth buying or other image editors that came free with digi-cameras/scanners/toothbrushes, or at least the other 10000 freeware graphics programs better than ms paint that are available...

Why would I think about wanting IE7 when theres a whole community of people developing a product that is superior, IE hasnt had any real update since its inception, it hasnt changed, the next or previous update is just to fix a security leak....

I actually hope IE keeps the majority of the browser market, if hackers and malware started specifically going after Mozillas products then they would then lose the ability to be as "safe" as they currently are..

FF is far from perfect...
But you have your opinion and I have mine, so be it.
Ty for the commentary
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby ilusha55 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:19 pm

About IMHO you are right and I don’t contest it. But I noticed one thing:

1. IE is faster than FF in loading certain pages while FF is faster in others (forums, HTML pages etc.) But my homepage is lofaing fater on IE than in FF. I don`t know why.
ATHLON 64 3000+
ASUS A8V Deluxe
512 MB Crucial
PLEXTOR 716A
ilusha55
Initiate
Initiate

Postby kltsin » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:19 pm

ilusha55 wrote:About IMHO you are right and I don’t contest it. But I noticed one thing:

1. IE is faster than FF in loading certain pages while FF is faster in others (forums, HTML pages etc.) But my homepage is lofaing fater on IE than in FF. I don`t know why.

It depends on the webmaster and design of the page, as I had posted earlier parts of IE load at boot up so the program can get to work as soon as you click the IE icon, you can have FF do this as well with this setting.

set "browser.turbo.enabled" to "True"

What this does is preload parts of mozilla when windows boots.

Turbo Mode also known as Quick Launch in Mozilla software is comparable to how IE preloads and has such quick load times since its already partially loaded, this may put a minor strain on old systems as it resides in memory, albiet not much.
I still have yet to test it as I am researching some issues with FF and cant touch the about:config for testing result reasons

Plus there are so many other things that could affect page load speed its scary to think about.

Im not a Fan Boy of FF, but IMHO it is far superior to IE, I just hope since that the two main guys that helped design and code FF that left to work for Google will not have a huge impact on the developement of FF.
Time will tell.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:16 am

ilusha55 wrote:I mean when I make a transaction over an Internet I just can’t trust Firefox which extensions are made by its own users. Just can’t. I am sure each person has his own site where he just closes FF and goes to IE because of some sort of trust in IE.

I wouldn't trust IE for crap. I always use FF for secure transactions. I barely trust IE to connect to Windows Update. The proof for me? Even M$'s own head of the security department uses FireFox. What's that tell you?

FF is not developed by the users. Sure, third party extensions are, but those are not involved in secure transactions and (last time I checked) IE had so many third party extensions, it wasn't even funny.

FF is made by an ex-Netscape team (i.e. The Mozilla Foundation). They started tweaking the old Netscape code for their own uses to make it more secure (this was when the company was going down the tubes) and they came up with FireFox. Based off the original Netscape code? Yes. Anything like Netscape was? No.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby snap355 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:47 am

I wouldn't trust IE for crap. I always use FF for secure transactions. I barely trust IE to connect to Windows Update. The proof for me? Even M$'s own head of the security department uses FireFox. What's that tell you?

Secure transactions are the website's responsibility, not the browser. And secondly, you may or may not know the whole story behind MS head of security dept on why he's using firefox.
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby kltsin » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:47 pm

Sabrewings wrote:
ilusha55 wrote:I mean when I make a transaction over an Internet I just can’t trust Firefox which extensions are made by its own users. Just can’t. I am sure each person has his own site where he just closes FF and goes to IE because of some sort of trust in IE.

FF is not developed by the users. Sure, third party extensions are, but those are not involved in secure transactions and (last time I checked) IE had so many third party extensions, it wasn't even funny.

FF is made by an ex-Netscape team (i.e. The Mozilla Foundation). They started tweaking the old Netscape code for their own uses to make it more secure (this was when the company was going down the tubes) and they came up with FireFox. Based off the original Netscape code? Yes. Anything like Netscape was? No.

Actually the original netscape code was something else, I forget.
Anyway, Netscape decided to start developing Gecko (NGlayout) for the rendering engine in 1997 since their old design was sub par at best.
In 1998 netscape decided to go to open source in late 1998 and formed the Mozilla Project.
Netscape 6 using (NGlayout) the new engine was released in 2000, AOL the parent company of Netscape never formerly released this version in their software.
In mid 2003 AOL disbanded the last few Gecko employees on the same day the Mozilla Foundation was formed, they are the ones that did all of the developement of the Gecko engine used today.

snap355 wrote:Secure transactions are the website's responsibility, not the browser. And secondly, you may or may not know the whole story behind MS head of security dept on why he's using firefox.

I think Sabrewings was speaking of spyware and toolbars and other malicious code that often affect IE at this time.
If you dont have a keylogger installed I do agree with this as long as you type in the name of the URL yourself.
Since FF uses Unicode which allows more characters some links can be spoofed to appear as the same name, (I gave a link with more info somewhere above), Unicode basically can replace characters and was originally designed for web addresses that use dont use English languages, so people are getting phoney links in their email and leaving credit card #'s behind...

Many companies/agencies are asking all of there employees to not use IE anymore. The US department of Homeland Security and many others...

How the heck would anyone know what the head of MS security is using as their PERSONAL browser?
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby kltsin » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:29 pm

On a side note, I can see FF extensions being an issue, (they arent digitally signed but this really doesnt mean squat)
Always use mozilla.org to find extensions, they watch over them very well, even if they arent perfect they will be safe.

to the spoof info heres a tidbit as well and a workaround
http://www.shmoo.com/idn/homograph.txt

Theres also the possibility of a gif being dragged to the desktop but it really isnt a image file but a exe or other malicious code, this would be hard to do and you would have to ignore the icon itself or see the extension..unlikely but a possibility.

Theres also the buffer which FF uses, this can be exploited in a buffer overflow, most issues found were fixed already but it is a dangerous place, buffer overflow exploits are a major concern if it comes about, as of now we are okay and MUCH better off than IE security wise.

If FF starts getting singled out by hackers and malicious code there will be trouble....

Lets not forget the 1.0 version of FF is only a few months old, allowing their previous betas to be distributed freely made every issue to be fixed extremely quick.

Lets hope they respond as quick on these issues and any upcoming issues, this is where IE lacked.

PS:
I also stated earlier a few mozilla developers left for google, The head developer, Ben (something) is still the head of the developement of it so.... This may mean that there are big plans for FF, combine that with the fact AOL may still be funding the project with donations (they promised 2 million in 2003, dont know if they paid or not)... Mozilla.org is a not for profit foundation... wonder how long that will last?
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby kltsin » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:56 am

OOPS, i spoke to soon..
It seems FF has a new update to fix all above as of yesterday, thanks to Ryn's post...

here is what it fixes, from http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/r ... 1.0.1.html

Now this is good timing.. man I am really going to fall in love with FF after this.

What i dont know is if your past setups to have FF optimisations will still be used or you need to set them up again, it wouldnt hurt to try.

1.01 version is availble, google it if needed...
I guess they respond pretty well to attacks and security issues, less than 3 weeks for the fix..
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to General