Which is a better router/gateway? Linksys or Dlink

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Which is a better router/gateway? Linksys or Dlink

Postby slow computer guy » Tue May 21, 2002 1:16 am

Ok which is better i would like to her some opinoins
between the Linksys Cable router/4 port switch and the D-link Cable router Di-704
slow computer guy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Reader » Tue May 21, 2002 2:59 am

The Linksys router is dead easy to install and get up and running. I have no experience with the D-Link because the guys that run the network at my office steered me to the Linksys for a reasonable router solution. One said that if he had it to do over again, he would have gone Linksys rather than D-Link.

I have experienced problems with the Linksys being logged off or the DSL line dropping. Created a web link to the router's "WAN Status" that enables me to reconnect in about 5 seconds. It only happens about once a week...and not a problem to be blamed on the router, I think.

But, again, I'm not knocking D-Link, I just haven't used their products.
reader
_ _ _____ _ _
"There we were, lost in the Wilds of Afghanistan without a corkscrew. Forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

W.C. Fields
Reader
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue May 21, 2002 6:12 pm

I too have a Linksys Router. For me it has never had any problems on my DSL line. Though it's no comparison, I have a D-Link camera, D-Link network card, and a D-Link switch too--The switch is nice, and never had any problems at all, however the network card is a pain in the butt to configure because of a driver problem with it. They are both good and reputable companies! D-Link however is the #1 seller of networking products so I'd side with them, unless you care about price and want a Linksys instead.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby proud_canadian_forever » Tue May 21, 2002 6:46 pm

I would go for the Linksys 4 port DSL/Cable router. Its solid and stable. I'm using it right this minute. Its also easy to set up. The only thing I can think of thats not a pro is that its hard to get files through the firewall. (ie msn messenger, and Yahoo messenger). Otherwise its worth it. :D
proud_canadian_forever
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue May 21, 2002 7:26 pm

Oh one other thing to add, is if you are buying a Linksys router/switch/firewall, I think that they are more effective firewalls since they can work well with ZoneAlarmPro, a software firewall supported by Linksys' router
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Wed May 22, 2002 5:16 am

My linksys 4 port works just fine. I had some initial problems with it dropping connection with PPPOE, but that could also have been my ISP's fault.

Anyways, switching my two computers over to ports 2 and 4 seemed to get rid of that issue. Owned the router for over 8 months, and the last 5 months or so have been flawless.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ajkeence » Wed May 22, 2002 6:55 am

I work for Best Buy and we all recommend the Linksys to everyone. All of the networking gurus say its better
ajkeence
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Madclown » Wed May 22, 2002 7:10 am

I did have some problems with the Linksys cable router/switcher. These may have been related more to my computer or DSL provider, I am still not sure. I switched to the wireless Linksys system and for some unknown reason I have had zero problems. I even prefer it now over the cable. My opinion-------Linksys over DLink!!!
Madclown
Initiate
Initiate

D-Link vs Linksys

Postby can564 » Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:49 am

I use and have set up Linksys at my work and D-link at my home.The set up procedures were virtually identical.Both had a few bumps but carefull reading of the manuals resolved the issues at setup.Both appear to work flawlessly.The only reason I chose the D-link for my home is the fact it has a LPT1 port printer server built in.Now my family can use the printer reguardless of wether my computer is on or not.I find this necessary as I often shut my computer down.
can564
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to General