The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:10 am 
Black Belt
Black Belt

Back in the day, this forum loved Abit mobos and detested pretty much anything made by Chaintech (even though I always had good luck with the latter).

Since it looks as if both Abit & Chaintech have exited the scene, which mfgr do you feel has taken their place on the ladder and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:51 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

My Chaintech 848P Socket 478 has performed flawlessly for the past 5 years! Older models are still working.
Problem with a lot of the industry was that the 'bad caps' syndrome caused a lot of extra expense to the companies, and also a bad rep. Then too the economic crisis was looming several years back.. when the speculators savaged the crude oil futures market! Competition depends on price to a consumer, as well as quality. While quality may have been there, the price wasn't tempting.
Some of those companies are still in business, but only in Europe or other countries.. not world-wide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:21 pm 
Black Belt
Black Belt

My Chaintech 7NIL1 is still working today as well, no complaints there.

On a side note, I went looking for an updated driver for an AV710 today on Chaintech's site and apparently they are now Walton. I could not find what I was looking for, so I guess they no longer support the older Chaintech products......

As for Abit, what is going on with them? There were rumors going around last year that they were going to exit the market, to which Abit flatly denied. Fast forward to now and I find no mainstream e-tailers carrying any Abit products. :mb_dontknow::

I've been eying up several Gigabyte boards over the past few weeks, as they look to be a decent mfgr and the support website is easy to navigate. If I buy one and everything goes smooth, I may continue using their products on other builds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:38 pm 
Green Belt
Green Belt

I like ASUS myself, I had a ABIT mobo and it went south on me I think it was their infamous capacitor issue. My recent build features a ECS mobo, this is a first for me so wish me luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 pm 
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

I like paying a couple of bucks more for the Intel board. I know that they may have been built by another company MSI or ECS. Great life cycles like 5 - 8 years average! I think they demand better quality on parts.

Paul