New system install - ie 5.5

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby timmib » Mon May 20, 2002 2:47 am

Greetings Webster and Ardynas,

Just a quick note of thanks. Found a 5.5 on an AOL disk. May play with it, may play with mirroring, don't know <bg>. Got the time and everything together so ... I'm going off the air now to play <BG>.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Be well,

Tim
timmib
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Tue May 21, 2002 9:09 pm

What version did you find that on? Is there any version that has IE 6 on it? I would like to extract them both to loan to friends that are broadband impaired. They always grumble when I tell them to "just download it."
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby timmib » Wed May 22, 2002 1:10 am

Greetings all,

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up trying the 'delete enum' in register trick but totally lost the cd access!!!! Egads! Reverted to prior registry and let win98se do its thing, now with cd access. Took about 8 good restarts and a couple of cold boots for it to reorganize its drivers. I did the second system from scratch with a win98se oem disk and using fat32 out of curiousity. As far as win handling via 4in1 and nvidia drivers are concerned there seemed little difference. As I use lots of odds and ends of utilities some of which are registered the first method certainly saved me a lot of work. I'm in the process of reinstalling software on the second system: painful since most are kids games (Hasbro, Disney, etc) written by hacks, imho. I'm glad most of these were picked up on sale/discount. They surely aren't worth the 'suggested retail' <g>. Haven't gotten around to installing ie5.5 on the second system yet. Next weekend probably.

Wyrm,

I found 5.5 on an AOL v7 disk that was laying around. mie55.exe or something like that. It looks to me like ie6 awa ie5 are there too. Interestingly, no netscape 6 unless it's in the aol setup.exe.

Thanks again to all,

Be well,

Tim

Gigabyte ga-7zxe
chieftec dx-01bd w/420w amd approved ps
Duron 1000mHz
256 meg ram
30 g wd caviar
win98se
plextor 16 10 40

ps Once it's fully stable the fun begins <BG>!!
Last edited by timmib on Wed May 22, 2002 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
timmib
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Aibohphobia » Wed May 22, 2002 1:18 am

Gosh you silly people and all your problems with all of the m$ ie 5, 5.5, 5.5sp2, and 6.0 softwares. If you want an actually stable and fast computer, DONT USE MICROSOFT. NEVER USE MICROSOFT SOFTWARE IF THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE. Just think of all the time you have wasted downoading updates for their crappy bug-filled software, when you could have been walking the beach and have been having fun instead.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ardynas » Wed May 22, 2002 12:43 pm

Gosh you silly people and all your problems

I for one am grateful for silly problems. It gives me the opportunity to make someone's day that has been struggling with a situation that I can resolve. Even though I do this sort of thing for a living, I am here to learn (and help others when I can) as we live in a I.T. Ocean that is ever changing...
Ardynas
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Wyrm73 » Wed May 22, 2002 5:44 pm

Thanks Tim.

DONT USE MICROSOFT. NEVER USE MICROSOFT SOFTWARE IF THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE

If only life were that simple. On my personal computer I have been looking at Microsoft alternatives. Linux, Netscape, Mozilla, Star Office, and other alternatives may be ok for us propellerheads, but I have not found these products to be mature enough for me to recommend to my non-techie friends and co-workers. Improvements are made daily, but I don't feel that these products are ready yet.

MS products may be slow, full of bugs, or whatever else you want to say, but they are familiar to millions. Unfortunately, people are slow to change and MS has a stranglehold on the marketplace. I think eventually these alternatives will be good enough to combat the high priced giant, but until then we have to make do with what Redmond gives us. They are going to be around a while.

BTW, this topic diversion sounds like one for the Hundred Year War forum.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Previous

Return to General