New system install - ie 5.5

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

New system install - ie 5.5

Postby timmib » Sat May 18, 2002 8:22 am

Greetings,

I'm building two systems, nearly identical, using win98se. I would like to find internet explorer 5.5 (sp2?) to install rather than use ms' download/setup manager. Does anyone know where I might find this? Once upon a time I remember the ms site offering such a beast but I can't locate it now, only the setup stub.

TIA

Be well,

Tim
timmib
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby atang1 » Sat May 18, 2002 11:45 am

I think it is in the WinMe setup cdrom.

It is much better to download the IE6.0 minimum then add to it later, since the 5.5SP2 has a number of blue screens' horrors. Memory address faults that does not exist in real life.
atang1

Postby jsc1973 » Sat May 18, 2002 12:36 pm

Yep. Think of IE 5.5 as the beta for IE 6.0. Microsoft does this all the time. IE 2 was terrible, IE 3 was actually pretty good. Then we went to IE 4 and it was back to being buggy. IE 5 fixed the bugs, and was good, but IE 5.5 seems to have created new bugs. Even the betas of IE 6 were better than 5.5.

When you get those systems built, go to Windoze Update and just get IE 6, or if you see a free AOHell 7.0 install CD in some store, grab it, use the Explore feature in Windows on it and find the IE 6 folder on it. That version is AOHell-branded, but it works with anything.
jsc1973
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby timmib » Sat May 18, 2002 3:55 pm

Hi atang1 and jsc1973,

Thanks for the heads up on ie6.

So, how do the system admin's handle this with multiple pc's out there? Surely not have each of them individually and separately connect to m$ support! <g>

I think I get an AOHell disk in the mail once a week. I'll take one apart for the ie6 if for nothing else than the fun of it. Took their branding off the last of the netscape 4.*'s many years ago before the six/sick version started floating around <g>

Be well,

Tim
timmib
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Ardynas » Sun May 19, 2002 8:32 am

You may want to consider creating an image of your Hard Drive. This could be done several different ways using a program like Ghost (or similiar). If you had two partitions, load Win98SE on your C Drive and image the C and save it on your D Drive... better yet, make a bootable CD with with your image file.

With two identical PC's, once you get your first one setup just like you want it, Ghost it and then you can load your other PC... quickly (with all of your tweaking). This turns out to be handy especially if you think you will be maintaining the machines. Troubleshooting a machine takes time, if you have it setup correctly, just save their personal information (if you can) and rewrite the C... I think you get the idea. 8)
Ardynas
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Twisty » Sun May 19, 2002 8:49 am

Whoops! I just installed IE 5.5! There was me thinking it was the bug fix for IE5.

Don't think I want IE6, it looks bloated.

Guess I'll just uninstall explorer and install a fresh IE5.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby timmib » Sun May 19, 2002 10:15 am

Hello Ardynas,

I have thought about mirroring one drive info onto another in as much as I'll be building essentially two identical systems. I'd just rather have a straight ie5.5 setup to install than d/l, as the modem and network pieces will be different between the two machines.

Thanks for the thought,

Be well

Tim
timmib
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby timmib » Sun May 19, 2002 10:17 am

Whoops! I just installed IE 5.5! There was me thinking it was the bug fix for IE5.

Don't think I want IE6, it looks bloated.

Guess I'll just uninstall explorer and install a fresh IE5.

Greetings Webster,

I found 5.5 (sp2) more stable than 5.0. Might want to leave it! <g>

Be well,

Tim
timmib
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Twisty » Sun May 19, 2002 2:10 pm

I think I get an AOHell disk in the mail once a week. I'll take one apart for the ie6 if for nothing else than the fun of it. Took their branding off the last of the netscape 4.*'s many years ago before the six/sick version started floating around <g>

If you actually want a stable computer then it's best to remove IE completly from your PC (win98lite) and run something like Opera/Mozilla.. but thats another story.

Greetings Webster,

I found 5.5 (sp2) more stable than 5.0. Might want to leave it! <g>

Well I crashed after 45mins of using it, not that that was unusual when I was running IE5 though. *sigh* I Think this PC needs an OS transplant more than anything! :roll:
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Ardynas » Sun May 19, 2002 3:07 pm

I Think this PC needs an OS transplant more than anything!

I am using different browsers a lot in both Web Design and PC installations. I would personally just install IE 6.0 and be done with it...light or full version (as they are fixing bugs in the newer versions). I am also using Netscape 6.2 and Netscape Navigator 4.08 across a variety of platforms without issue. Opera will become a factor when (if) it gets a little more popular.

Working at a Help Desk, I have found two main issues that occur the most with IE. The encrpytion is not 128 bit or the Virtual Machine gets a little wacked. Both are easy to fix... If you don't want to be concerned about how to fix it, just reload it. If you're still using a Modem, get an ISP CD and just install the Browser... still no problem.

If your still having lots of problems... take a step back and make sure your OS is working correctly and your hardware is installed with the correct drivers.
I still feel very strongly that if you are working with multiple like PC's, you really need to get involved with HD imaging... That's how big companies are loading their PC's before deployment. Hope this helps...
Ardynas
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to General