Setting up a Virtual private network

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Setting up a Virtual private network

Postby Demosthenes » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:49 pm

How can you set up a private network, across country, using windows VPN, or any other program? I have messed around with VPN before, and everytime i set one up, rather then the other person connecting to me, they try and attempt to connect through me. so their internet then drops, and attempts to use me as an 'ISP'

All i really want to do, is make it so 1 or 2 other people, and I could connect and have windows see it as if it was on a home lan, so file driver sharing, folder sharing, gameing, could be done.

Anyone know how to do something like this at all? I posted once before, but annoyingly my net died so the post was deleted before i can read :/
WinXP Pro
1.9ghz AMD Athlon XP (barton core) OCed to 2.25ghz
Volcano 9
Abit NF7 rev. 2
512mb Apacer Infineon DDR3200 in dual channel mode
Gigabyte 5900xt
4x Aopen DVD burner
400 watt PSU
120Gig 7200rpm Maxtor
Demosthenes
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:45 am

http://www.helmig.com and http://www.wown.com if helmig doesn't work.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby DefaultDave » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:30 am

it doesn't sound like you need a "VPN" per sa, but just a normal Lan. vpn's are more for business uses where a salesman (or anyone outside the office "off campus" if ya will) needs to gain access to shares on a given domain. these boxes have internal IP's and do not get broadcasted outside the domain. this is where you can either RAS in (dial up) or VPN in (other lan network or cable/dsl modem) to the busnesses network.

all you're looking to do is have a local network. 2 main ways of doing this, depending on how many nodes you want on there. if only say you and another box then a cross over cable from NIC to NIC will work fine (running either TCP/IP or simply NETBUI). if more than 10 or so nodes then Netbui kinda goes down hill so tcp/ip is the routing protocol to use.

but this isn't too hard to set up...just grab a hub and connect all the machines to the hub. if running TCP/IP then give every box a unique IP addy (192.168.1.1, .2, .3 and so on) for each box. (netbui just broadcasts so you really don't need to worry about it)

make sure all the boxes are on the same 'workgroup' and you should be set. if you want all the boxes to see each other AND share a cable modem then you'll have to multi home (2 NICs) the box with the cable modem hanging off it. this is your "default gateway" or "route of last resourt". now assign all the other nodes default gateway to the INSIDE IP address (not the cable modem IP) and then every machine will have internet access. (no real need to even use ICS). the only real downside is that you can't shut off the default gateway computer or the nodes will no longer have internet access. (but who shuts off there boxes anyway, aren't they all "Folding"???) :D
DefaultDave
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:27 am

across country
sounds like secure connection over the internet = VPN.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby DefaultDave » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:02 pm

DOH i skimmed over that part i guess. :oops:

once set up though WinXP makes it simple to connect to. just create a new connections and select the VPN radio button, then enter the host name or IP addy and it's good to go...VPN's can be slow though do to the encryption/decryption. but in some situations it's the only way to connect.
DefaultDave
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Demosthenes » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:04 pm

how do you get past the part where the connecting computer tries to use the VPN as its isp? My friend from israel tried connecting to the VPN i made, and everytime he connected, it would kick him offline, and try to use me.
WinXP Pro
1.9ghz AMD Athlon XP (barton core) OCed to 2.25ghz
Volcano 9
Abit NF7 rev. 2
512mb Apacer Infineon DDR3200 in dual channel mode
Gigabyte 5900xt
4x Aopen DVD burner
400 watt PSU
120Gig 7200rpm Maxtor
Demosthenes
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Setting up a Virtual private network

Postby PeeterDinklage » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:21 am

Would like to setup up a connection to my library while I'm on the road. So that I can edit the database on my down time. I have a Verizon account which offers this surfeasy vpn review, but I am complete novice at this. I also have a static ip.

Thank You
:idea:

Edit: Deleted active URL link to insecure site of other services!
..Karlsweldt.

Edit again: That active URL link about 'surf easy' was deleted. If it appears again, you may be banned for unapproved link to another site or product!
..Karlsweldt.
PeeterDinklage
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to General