Messenger?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

missouri
Initiate
Initiate

Messenger?

Post by missouri »

I am trying to get my pc cam to work w/ Instant messenger but can't get a video /audio conference going.....
cam is working, mic too....
I've been reading about using it behind a firewall but can't get it to work.....(linksy's 4 port router)....something about a router can be UPnP...sends 1 addy but receives at another or something....
Can anyone tell me in simpler terms what all this means, I just can't figure out what I am reading.. :oops: my daughter has XP as do I, and she isn't running a firewall.
How/what do I have to configure on the router to get this thing going?

thanks
Happy Hillbilly
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Happy Hillbilly »

I can only tell you that with AOL's IM version 5 both people have to be behind the same type firewall for it to work. It won't work if 1 is behind a firewall & the other isn't or if they are using 2 different firewalls. In this scenario, you would have to disable your firewall.
Luke 6:31
missouri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by missouri »

I'm w/ Earthlink and she has MSN.....
Happy Hillbilly
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Happy Hillbilly »

You both have to use the same Instant Messenger program, (AOL IM, MSN IM, Netmeeting, etc...). You can have different internet services but need the same IM service. :wink:
Luke 6:31
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Mark H »

FYI, I found out XP does not support Netmeeting. You will have to use Windows Messenger with both computers for it to work. I have no information on using it behind a firewall.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.