Socket 7 Lucky Star mobo - Help wanted...

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Socket 7 Lucky Star mobo - Help wanted...

Postby Morc » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Hello... i found my old mobo Lucky Star 5i-TX1 rev 2.0 with only S3 Trio64V+, Pentium-MMX 133MHz and 32MB RAM..
I found the jumper settings on the board and managed to somehow run the board. but i have some issues..
I want to connect PS/2 mouse but i cannot because the board doesnt have Ps/2 connector only 5Pin DIN for keyboard
so that is issue no.1

issue no.2
i installed windows 98 se on it but after installing video driver it restarts and acts like before like nothing has changed..
i even tried to download s3 driver from internet and burn it to dvd and install driver from dvd but still like before..

issue no.3
can i buy that usb pci card and use it?
has windows 98 some support for it?

last question..
are there any manuals for the board? i only got the board without manuals and box from my uncle.
Morc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Socket 7 Lucky Star mobo - Help wanted...

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 am

Some helpful info here..
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/luckystar/ ... itx1jp.pdf
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/luckystar/ ... Index.html
There should be a header to the right of the keyboard socket, for the PS2 mouse connection. One pin is ground, one at +5 volts, the other two are 'clock' cycle and 'data' return.
There are two types of memory slots.. but you can use only one type. Should be plenty of offers on older memory types, on eBay or similar. But that "oldie" would require single-density memory design only.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Morc » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:36 pm

as i dont have any PS/2 connector i used those dupont cables(that are for arduino and raspberry pi) and i wired it to usb connector. the usb mouse/keyboard didnt worked. But when i installed MS-DOS 7.11 the CuteMouse showed that mouse is attached to COM1 i dont even know where are they but i found some connectors looking like serial next to hdd connectors. And in Device Manager in Win 98 i found Universal Serial Bus controllers section and Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller and USB Root Hub.
Morc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:36 am

Older mobos of that type only had USB1 status. That USB host does not recognize newer USB standards. Yet newer class USB host standards are almost 100% backward compatible with older devices.
The older USB hosts needed a third-party or OEM driver to be active. Newer BIOS types have resident basic drivers for USB.
If you can find an older serial type mouse, use that cable as the link, if that is the only way to use a newer mouse. Only 4 connections are required. A feature driver from one OS version may not be compatible with other OS versions.
If you want to know the pinout of almost any connector or header, here is a link.. http://pinouts.ru/
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General