help with asking a question

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

help with asking a question

Postby old in arizona » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:05 pm

I'm probably not in the right place, so I'm hoping someone can assist with my terminology and point me at a good place to find out how to do something.

I have a ton of old family pictures, real pictures, not digitized. I want to scan them and add some info to each picture. Since these are coming from Kodak photo paper, there isn't any metadata on them, other than what gets applied as I scan the picture. I have a Canon 3500 Pixma scanner, and it appears to do the actual scanning pretty good. Now comes the hard part. I want to create DVDs of all the scanned photos and hand them out at a family reunion. I can make up a name for each photo, put them in appropriate albums/folders during the scanning process, but I can't seem to find a way to add the information that used to be written on the back of the picture - who is in the picture, when it was taken, what was going on, snarky comments, etc. I want to add these things for each photo, but I can't find anything that would be easy, would transfer when I hand the disc to someone else and they load it to their own PC (or Apple) and don't have the same software I do. I can't even figure out the terms to use as I'm looking for how to do this. Am I adding tags? metadata? comments? captions? text?

Please point me in the right direction to do this. I have lots of time to do it and lots of time before it's due at the next reunion.

Old Geezer in Arizona.
old in arizona
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: help with asking a question

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:17 am

High resolution of the scanned photos is a must. Each photo scanned should be around 2 Mb in size, possibly in PDF format (scanner default?) or at least 1 Mb if in JPG format. That format is a compressed type, other formats such as GIF or PCX are not, and much larger in data size.
You would need a photo editing program to work (paste) a text file into the photo image. Corel®, Photo Shop® and others are good brands. But a purchased program is better overall than a 'freeware' program. With a photo editing program, you can clean up almost any photo as to sharpness or lighting adjustments.. and create those "never was" images by merging other photo sectors into one!
You could do editing on a tablet or 'smart' phone, but a regular desk computer is favored for this work.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:53 am

Mac or Windows? Which version?

Do you have any editing software, or are you just using the basic stuff that came with the Pixma?

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby old in arizona » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Well, you give me a chance to elaborate on my problem. I'm working on a PC, Windows 10, lots of storage, etc. etc.

I have a program called ACDSee that I bought in maybe 2003 just to give me a tool that could display, crop, brighten, etc., and it works great for that function. I looked through it and found a place to put comments on a picture as you are going to print the picture, but there's no permanence to the comment - when you go to the next picture, the comment box on the new one is empty, and when you go back to the old one, the comment box has been cleared out. The program will display some of the metadata associated with each picture if it's there. It also has a pretty extensive database (proprietary) to do exactly what I want, but there's no way to make the database usable by someone who doesn't have the ACDSee program. There are some metadata fields labeled "comments", but I don't know if they are portable, or just additional fields that the program adds to the standard stuff.

The Pixma software doesn't look very elaborate - stitching, cropping, red eye, and so on. I looked through the documentation on it very quickly, and it seems to point toward grouping pictures into albums, doing facial recognition to help with the grouping, but what I need is a way to scan a picture (that part works fine), and then list who is in the picture, who took it, what was going on, where was it happening -- lots of portraits or family pictures with "in the front row you have: - in the back row you have:". The kinds of stuff that would be written on the back of the picture before digital pictures came around, or at best a separate piece of paper in a scrapbook below the picture (usually held in by those little corner glue-down-with-some-spit devices. Guess I just aged myself, if I haven't already done so.

If I really need to go buy some software, Could you recommend something that isn't too expensive?
old in arizona
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:42 am

One critical step with photo editing is to use the 'save' or 'save as' feature, with a different name than the original. And save to a dedicated or same folder. Otherwise, changes are discarded. And if the file has an attribute (access argument), then no changes can be made unless that attribute is cleared. Common attributes are "R" for 'read only', "H" for 'hidden', or "S" for 'system' files. An "A" is also common, for 'archived'. Basic command prompts can add or remove most attributes.
If you use the command prompt box, type in attrib *.* {file name} path. Otherwise, the OS may not show the full text of the file name. To exit the command prompt box, simply type exit and then hit enter.
You could create a new image project, then copy the image and paste to the new project page. But leave some space on the page for a text box. Resizing the image to the page is easy enough, look for a double ended arrow at the corners or on the sides. The corner arrows will equally adjust the entire image. Side arrows will distort the image, unless wanted that way.
A decent photo editing program might cost around $50.00 USD, better ones can go beyond $300.00 for pro work. Check for ratings of programs as to cost, popularity and ease of use. The ones I noted are well rated.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby old in arizona » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:13 am

I've read all the advice, and done some research. It looks like what I want to do with my family pictures is called "labeling." Equivalent to taking a printed picture, turning it over, and writing the who/what/when/where info on the back. I found several sites that said this information could be stored as metadata, in the comments section of ITPC information. So far, so good.

I took my simple photo editor, ACD-See version 12, cranked it up, grabbed a scanned picture with everyone in a couple of rows (kind of a formal picture, like families used to do in the 40's-60's), went to the ITPC fields and added, in the comment box, the "front row: x,y,z... back row: a,b,c..." stuff and saved the file. I went to the saved file with windows 10 explorer, and right-clicked on properties. I thought this would show the information I added under "details" but the details tab doesn't show anything about any of the ITPC fields. Nothing.

When I re-open the file with my editor, the ITPC fields are there, just fine. This is a problem, because one of my requirements is to be able to give all the families a CD/DVD with the pictures that they can access on their PC/Apple and see the added info without having my or any other editor, just being able to do it "raw." I tried the photo app that comes with Windows 10, and it doesn't even give you the opportunity to get a property list.

Ideas? Suggestions?

mooresmsr
old in arizona
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:10 am

May be a better idea to make a new 'project' of each image. Paste the image on a fresh page, have a comment box at the bottom under the image. Maybe 1/2 inch is all that is needed for text. Otherwise, if not obtrusive, a text box could be added to the image and saved as the same name, but with a "2" added to the name.. such as "Family02.jpg" or whatever the image format. The original can be renamed as "Family01.jpg" or similar. Keep the original unaltered.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General