MS Office Home & Business 2016

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

MS Office Home & Business 2016

Postby c327 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:06 am

Well it looks like I am headed for another bad day with Windows 10 Pro x64 and Microsoft's paid program Office Home & Business 2016 ($161.42). This version of Office Home & Business was the downloaded version and is for installation on one specific PC only but can be reinstalled again if needed and YES I have the product key for it.

In order for me to download and activate this program I was required to create a Microsoft account first. I created this Microsoft Account that required me to also create a password which I did. I proceeded to download and install this program without any problems.

MS Office Home & Business 2016 includes Word 2016, Outlook 2016, Excel 2016, Power Point, One Note, Publisher and Access I think it all was.

Now since installing this program it seems that MS took over my computer. First it was my lock screen password that was no longer the one I originally created prior to installing this program. I have since corrected that by unticking a setting but it seems my MS Account still has control over this PC.

NOW FOR THE QUESTION:

If I cancel my MS Account if in fact I can, will I still be able to use all of my installed Office Home & Business programs? I use Outlook 2016, Word 2016, Excel 2016 often. I also may have to use the MS Edge browser in order to use my new Fujitsu document scanner since it looks like it doesn't like Google Chrome?

Having to change over to Windows 10 pro x64 from XP Pro x32 has to be my worst computer experience ever and I thought Dell the company & Windows ME were bad.

Thanks
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: MS Office Home & Business 2016

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:32 am

Likely some programs are 'launch on start-up' and bog down the system, even if not needed.
Should be nothing in the "start up" tab of the main menu that is not required at all times.
Maybe using the Administrator Tools and program assignments, some programs can be relegated to "on demand" rather than hogging resources. The Task Manager should be able to do this also.
Win XP had this feature, not sure about Win 10.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Likely some programs are 'launch on start-up' and bog down the system, even if not needed.
Should be nothing in the "start up" tab of the main menu that is not required at all times.
Maybe using the Administrator Tools and program assignments, some programs can be relegated to "on demand" rather than hogging resources. The Task Manager should be able to do this also.
Win XP had this feature, not sure about Win 10.

What does that have to do with a Microsoft Account and Microsoft Office 2016 ? ???????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:58 am

Is there a problem with overall performance, or that there appears to be another "driver" in control?
..it seems that MS took over my computer. First it was my lock screen password that was no longer the one I originally created prior to installing this program. I have since corrected that by unticking a setting but it seems my MS Account still has control over this PC.

Possibly a link is active, between your PC and some program, monitoring your use habits and what programming is used.
For the years I worked in a computer repair/sales store, I saw too many instances of a program sending back info from the user, without permission.. and limiting normal activities of the person's computer.
There is no reason any program should always be active, in the background, until needed. Your antivirus and firewall programs are the only exception.
Check with the Task Manager, see what programs are active, after you start up.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:28 am

c327 wrote:If I cancel my MS Account if in fact I can, will I still be able to use all of my installed Office Home & Business programs? I use Outlook 2016, Word 2016, Excel 2016 often. I also may have to use the MS Edge browser in order to use my new Fujitsu document scanner since it looks like it doesn't like Google Chrome?

Having to change over to Windows 10 pro x64 from XP Pro x32 has to be my worst computer experience ever and I thought Dell the company & Windows ME were bad.

my understanding is that your software license is tied to your MS account. if you "cancel" your account, it wouldn't be linked to a Microsoft account and would no longer work.
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:13 am

Roach412 wrote:
c327 wrote:If I cancel my MS Account if in fact I can, will I still be able to use all of my installed Office Home & Business programs? I use Outlook 2016, Word 2016, Excel 2016 often. I also may have to use the MS Edge browser in order to use my new Fujitsu document scanner since it looks like it doesn't like Google Chrome?

my understanding is that your software license is tied to your MS account. if you "cancel" your account, it wouldn't be linked to a Microsoft account and would no longer work.

That's exactly what I was thinking and my concern. Years ago when you bought software you owned it and could use it on any PC you wanted most of the time, but no longer is that the case especially with Microsoft. It's a greedy business deal just like cell phones. By the time you pay the rental use over the duration of the contract you will have paid full retail for the phone.

The day I have to pay a user fee to use Windows will be the day I no longer will use a Windows operating system or a PC on the Internet.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:16 am

c327 wrote:...just like cell phones. By the time you pay the rental use over the duration of the contract you will have paid full retail for the phone.

I know for a fact that statement is incorrect. My fiancée literally last week just got a new phone and is paying $15/month for 24 months, the phone is worth $699 to buy outright, or $299 with a 24 month contract. By all accounts she is saving nearly 50% of the cost of the phone.

as for the purchase of software, I hate to break it to you but in a short period of time you will not own any of your new software - and in most cases you won't even have much of a possession of it either. distributed cloud offerings will be the norm, and will provide you much better value and in many cases will provide better experience at a lower cost comparatively.

MS is moving their software and OS into a service model...so, you'll pay when you need it(essentially when it is costly for them to provide it). rather than their current model which is costing every single user the distributed costs of all the low-volume-high-cost users. Windows costs the same to two different users which wholly different needs...because that's the only way they could provide it. In a cloud and feature-based model one user may need 100% of windows' offerings, while the other needs 10%...now that 10% user can basically pay for their need, and not for the other 90% of functionality. it's a better model - yes, different and not wholly easily to digest, but it's better. not just for MS, but for the end users as well in the long run.

-Roach
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:14 am

Roach412 wrote:
c327 wrote:...just like cell phones. By the time you pay the rental use over the duration of the contract you will have paid full retail for the phone.

I know for a fact that statement is incorrect. My fiancée literally last week just got a new phone and is paying $15/month for 24 months, the phone is worth $699 to buy outright, or $299 with a 24 month contract. By all accounts she is saving nearly 50% of the cost of the phone.

as for the purchase of software, I hate to break it to you but in a short period of time you will not own any of your new software - and in most cases you won't even have much of a possession of it either. distributed cloud offerings will be the norm, and will provide you much better value and in many cases will provide better experience at a lower cost comparatively.

MS is moving their software and OS into a service model...so, you'll pay when you need it(essentially when it is costly for them to provide it). rather than their current model which is costing every single user the distributed costs of all the low-volume-high-cost users. Windows costs the same to two different users which wholly different needs...because that's the only way they could provide it. In a cloud and feature-based model one user may need 100% of windows' offerings, while the other needs 10%...now that 10% user can basically pay for their need, and not for the other 90% of functionality. it's a better model - yes, different and not wholly easily to digest, but it's better. not just for MS, but for the end users as well in the long run.

-Roach

No, it's correct. At least it was a couple of months ago at my cellular providers local Verizon factory owned store.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:30 am

c327 wrote:No, it's correct. At least it was a couple of months ago at my cellular providers local Verizon factory owned store.

except that I (again, literally) just provided you with an example where it is factually a false statement. if you want to pay full retail(or more) through the lease program where offered, then that's fine. some people don't have 700+ dollars to put down for whatever reason and a lease(while perhaps in some cases more expensive in the long run) may be a better option for them. but, there is at least one example where that blanket statement is wrong, and I felt it needed to be reconciled.

-Roach