DDR4 RAM for Asus X99 mobo

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

DDR4 RAM for Asus X99 mobo

Postby bostonartgallery » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Greetings... I am new to PC building but just built my first system and everything seems to be going well. For the sake of my question I have an Asus X99 Deluxe II board (holds 8 sticks or RAM up to 16gb ea.) and I currently have 4 sticks at 8 gb ea. I have Gskill TridentZ 3200 DDR4 and my question is regarding my 4 empty RAM slots. The board max's out at 128 gigs and I have 32 in there now, and am wondering if you can put 4-16gb sticks in the remaining slots when you have 4-8gb sticks in the first 4 slots... OR, does all your RAM have to match in GB level. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Thomas
bostonartgallery
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: DDR4 RAM for Asus X99 mobo

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:59 pm

For what reason would you need maximum memory installed? Only if in a server setup, or for extreme video or audio editing, would you need more than "average" memory maximum of 32 GB.
If all slots are populated, that can slow the overall performance.
Stay with what is recommended by the motherboard manufacturer.
As to mixing RAM amounts, ensure they are matched pairs and each channel has the same total amount.
Yes, you can mix 4 GB with 8 GB or 16 GB or however.. as long as each channel has the same modules in the paired slots.

As to your other post about this setup, it should be kept in the same thread.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General