Power supply questions

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Power supply questions

Postby LakaWaka » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:48 am

I currently own an EVGA G2 SuperNova 750W PSU. From what I have read it is a very highly rated PSU, and have been serving me well for many months now.
I am currently in the market for a new case, and due to how my old case and PSU cables were situated, it will be a pain to remove them, so I figured I might buy a new PSU with the new case, and leave this one for my other system that I will put in that case.

I have a few questions overall in regards to a new PSU, as well as the old one.

1. I saw a video that mentioned the Efficiency will go down if you have a PSU that is rated at a higher Wattage (i.e., 1200 W) and you don't use a lot of total power (i.e., 300W). Is this true? If so what exactly is the "bad" with this?
2. I am curious about the "Ratings" and what I Should look at? I usually keep my computer on 24/7, and it seems that the better ratings, i.e., Platinum and Titanium are used more for servers/always-on-machines. I hear my G2 will work well, but I'm curious if I might want to look at something better?
3. As mentioned tht the cables are situated weird in this case, essentially they are stuck behind the 5.25" bay as a way to have some cable management, but they are stuck pretty tightly. I was wondering if I might damage the wires, but I'm curious how much force would be needed, or what "Conditions" must be present to damage the wires?

So overall I want another great PSU that will not fail me and will be able to handle being on all the time. I would get another 750W G2, but not sure if I should look at a higher rating, or even higher Wattage, but don't really need the wattage (not sure what I use, will get a Wattage meter to test soon). I hear that Seasonic and Super-Flower make great units, so I'm not sure if one of those would work.
Curiouw what others think? Thanks!
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Power supply questions

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Does not make good sense to put a 1.000 hp engine in a 'daily driver' unless you are rich, a show-off, and like getting tickets!
In a sense, yes, efficiency may suffer from some PSU models if not run at normal loads. But they would run in a respectable range of power usage. With any power supply, the more is drawn from it, the more input current required. As long as any PSU has a high EER (energy efficiency rating) of 75% or better, it is designed well and will last.
As to wires tucked into corners and such, as long as nothing presses on the insulation, no harm should come. There is not that much current on each lead. If at full current load, the insulation may become warm, but not melt.
It is a good method, clears the inner workings for better air circulation.
For 100% peace of mind about wires tucked into tight areas, consider those mesh jackets that are easy to put on.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby LakaWaka » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:17 am

!Yeah, the only reason I got the 750 was because I got it at the same price as 1a 550w, and figured that it would be good for awhile, and for possible upgrades in the future that might need more power.
!The insulation is referred to the color coded wiring, or are we talking about cable sleeving? when you mention "mesh" later on in your comment it sounds as if you are referring to the cabling sleeves. If so mine are all sleeved.1 It's also tucked behind metal so it's not as if it would melt.1
Yeah, I wanted good airflow for sure.1

Now I'm thinking I might get a similar watt PSU, and just switch the cabling. Since it's modular, it shouldn't be a big deal. I would assume the same company/model would work if i swapped the cables??? I also think I have some extra cables JUST IN CASe (except the mobo cable).1
I'm not sure how the EER's compare to the "Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Titanium" ratings I see on a lot of these PSUS. Usually it's an "80+" then the element. is 80 supposed to mean 80%+?
Thanks again for all of your help.
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:00 am

If the same brand and model PSU, likely the modular cables would be the same configuration. But check wire color code first!
Yes, the 'mesh jackets' I noted are the open-weave cable sheaths.
Typical wire insulation is rated at 90°C, where no exposure to high temperatures is expected. For high temperatures, insulation may be rated at more than 155°C. That is different from the insulation rating for voltage. Normally 25% higher than the highest voltage experienced in the wire's use.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby LakaWaka » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:34 am

Karlsweldt wrote:If the same brand and model PSU, likely the modular cables would be the same configuration. But check wire color code first!
Yes, the 'mesh jackets' I noted are the open-weave cable sheaths.
Typical wire insulation is rated at 90°C, where no exposure to high temperatures is expected. For high temperatures, insulation may be rated at more than 155°C. That is different from the insulation rating for voltage. Normally 25% higher than the highest voltage experienced in the wire's use.

I heard someone talking about this the other day when they were trying to sleeve their own cables I think. I also just remembered someone talking about their CPU connector was different than the one he needed for his 4+4pin mobo.... (Those should all be the same I would think).
It seems that the "Configuration" would be at the PSU end... right? The Components should all be the same, but the PSU could change? Kind of silly they would be different, but I guess that's how electronics are set up, and there could bed any number of configurations? Meh... I guess I'll leave the 750W in the big tower, and get another one... Idk what to get though. From what you're saying as long as the efficiency is good it should be fine, but aren't most PSU's rated 80+? Efficiency? It seemed that the better quality ones had more protection features such as over voltage, over-current, ripple, etc....
Not sure how important some of those are compared to others....
Thanks for the info. The weaved cable seems to be protecting the internal wires , but wasn't sure how much pressure on that could crush wires inside... But it seems my issue is more heat related then.... They shouldn't get that hot, especially since they are right next to my intake fans :). I don't think current would be an issue unless static was coming in through the fans somehow, but don't think that would be enough to hurt the insides...
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Motherboard power and other connections follow the ISA rules sheet. But from one manufacturer to another, a PSU may have different wiring connectors. The wire colors should be standard per the voltage used, another ISA rules sheet issue. But there are rogues in every industry. Dell once had a proprietary 20-pin ATX power socket pinout. Plug any other PSU into it, and that could fry the motherboard. Same if inverse.
A lot of PSU models are chintzy knock-offs. Nice specs, but poor regulation and they die quickly. Stay with reputable brands. The good ones earn their reputation.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby LakaWaka » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Makes sense.
Dell and proprietary... Why does that not surprise me. I've heard of 20-pin (I believe) ATX power cables before (I think older computers), but their own kind? sad...
My last build ended up getting what I believe was a fried mobo due to the PSU shorting out or something. It was a janky no-name company, but it was as decently expensive PSU (about the same I paid for my EVGA), but I didn't know any better at the time :(.... Now I do, and want to make sure I'm getting a great kind. Just not sure WHAT I should get :(.
Also, not sure if you missed it, but I didn't get reply on the PCI topic, not sure if you're going to continue with that convo, but I would at least like to get some piece of mind on this capacitor question. I actually saw a video of some guy taking apart capacitors with his bare hands, and people saying that old caps are extremely dangerous and cancerous..... Are newer caps safer?
Thanks a lot for everything :).
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:13 pm

Was waiting for the images of that suspect card. Yes, the "Issues from improper PCI seating" topic is still on a 'front burner'.
The gel or paste used on the separator in capacitors is caustic. Can cause burns to sensitive skin.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby LakaWaka » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Was waiting for the images of that suspect card. Yes, the "Issues from improper PCI seating" topic is still on a 'front burner'.
The gel or paste used on the separator in capacitors is caustic. Can cause burns to sensitive skin.

Oh haha. Was sketched to mess with the card due to toxic concerns, but not sure if I'm just too worried now lol :(. So it's caustic as well as toxic?? Is it just toxic to touch or is it the gas?
If you think It will be okay to mess with (I'll try grabbing the front of it where there's no caps or anything) I'll go ahead and take comparison pics of mine and the replacement to show differences... if any.

Thanks so much for your time as always... P.S. Still need a moderator to approve posts (after 30 posts), so not sure if there's some issue... or what.
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:21 am

If really concerned about toxicity or burns from faulty capacitors, then use those Nitrile gloves that most mechanics wear while working. Less than eight cents each, in small lots. I have bare-handed dozens of bad caps, but always ensure I wash well after, before touching anything else.
The gel or solution in capacitors is not intended to out-gas. But a faulted formula caused unwanted interaction of the chemicals, and the solution failed quickly. It expanded and did produce some gasses, which bulged the tops. The bottom of a capacitor has a rubber plug, that too would bulge. Worst case, there was leakage that could dissolve the protective motherboard coating and etch into traces.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to General