Motherboard grounding questions

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Motherboard grounding questions

Postby LakaWaka » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:43 pm

Sorry for the double post, but cannot edit yet... :((((.
How exactly do laptop mobos ground to the case?
I've been thinking of giving this laptop of mine a case because it gets REALLY hot sometimes, and dusty....
Is there any way to mount a laptop mobo inside a pc case? I also recall that I had to mess up some of the undersideo f the mobo which looked like some "glue." I thought it was traces, but the laptop st8ill works fine,s o I'm curious what that could have been??
Yeah... I like to tinker :P. Building and creating is fun.
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:47 am

Even distilled water in a cooling setup can become contaminated with airborne bacteria and virus types, unless sealed.
Propylene glycol is considered as 'slightly toxic' by the FDA. But any chemical, liquid, or dietary supplement can be hazardous if taken in high dosage. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/tox ... ?toxid=240
Ethanol alcohol could also be used, as it is considered (somewhat) safe to consume. But never methanol alcohol!

Laptops are compact, and dispersing unwanted heat is a problem. Waste heat has to be transferred to a different location, then a fan can expel the heat from the case. Aluminum plates and shields help disperse the heat. And some cases become very warm to the touch.
High temperature 'hot glue' is used to secure some components in place, but can soften if the components give off too much heat.
Could be simple enough to mount a laptop motherboard into a small PC case, but mounting points need to be as intended. And cooling plates or shields kept as near to design as possible. Any warranties likely would be voided, though!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby LakaWaka » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:26 am

Thanks for the info. I might hold off on Water cooling for awhile, but it's another project idea..

Sadly I'm having some issues with my computer, and I think I need a new case. Gong to make a separate thread on that..

Thanks a lot for all of your help on this.
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

Postby LakaWaka » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:16 pm

So I wanted to ask again about getting a sheet of something to place on the bottom of my case. I believe you had mentioned I could use plastic, like what they use in PSUs under the circuit. However you also had mentioned plastic is conductive, so I'm curious about why it's recommended? I'm assuming it's a special type of non-conductive plastic? Also, do you happen to know where I could purchase some of this for my case? I assume it would come at sheets/rolls? Thanks a lot.
One more thing is that for right now... I might just use the PSU I already have, but it doesn't fit inside the case, so it would hang out a little. I'm thinking the Pico would be too tall, and the HD-Plex would work, so I might get that later on.

I'm curious how bad it would be, EMF/RF wise to have the base of the case open? What about without I/O shield, as I'm not sure I could get that to stay on in it's current form. I think I will try to get it to stay on, but would Stray EMF/RF come in from the sides, around the I/O shield, and cause issues?
Thanks so much for all of your time, I greatly appreciate it.
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:16 pm

That plastic under the board in a PSU is a special type of Polysulfone plastic. High strength, resistant to scratches, and non-conductive. All plastics are non-conductive unless some graphite, carbon or other mineral is part of the mix. Most plastics can generate a static charge, when humidity is very low. Can be on the order of 10,000 volts or more.. but very little current. Went through the entire thread, could not find where I noted plastics as naturally conductive.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby LakaWaka » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:51 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:That plastic under the board in a PSU is a special type of Polysulfone plastic. High strength, resistant to scratches, and non-conductive. All plastics are non-conductive unless some graphite, carbon or other mineral is part of the mix. Most plastics can generate a static charge, when humidity is very low. Can be on the order of 10,000 volts or more.. but very little current. Went through the entire thread, could not find where I noted plastics as naturally conductive.

Thanks for the information. Any idea where one would get it, or it's specially made for these manufacturers? I guess I was confused between conductive and "Static-charge" possibly. If it can create a static charge, why would you want it anywhere near a PSU?"

Were there any other materials you would recommend for this that is very thin? I was thinking that leather might make the case look snazzy, but not sure if that is non-conductive :p. Would like to find something to put under the heat sink screws, just in case :).
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:52 am

I would not use leather, as it is tanned with acid to keep it flexible. And can absorb moisture.
That specific plastic sheet material or similar should be available from places like Grainger, Mousers, or similar providers. Possibly even from online sales outlets. Search for "Polysulfone plastic sheeting" and find dozens of links. Most sources may only sell in bulk quantities.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby LakaWaka » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:I would not use leather, as it is tanned with acid to keep it flexible. And can absorb moisture.
That specific plastic sheet material or similar should be available from places like Grainger, Mousers, or similar providers. Possibly even from online sales outlets. Search for "Polysulfone plastic sheeting" and find dozens of links. Most sources may only sell in bulk quantities.

Thanks for the info on the leather and the plastic sheeting :). You mentioned it was special sheeting, or would any "Polysulfone plastic sheeting" work. So about the static. It wont hurt my parts if it gets a static charge? Is that what the point of all that good grounding inside the system is for?
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Memory modules require the lowest voltage of all system components. As low as 1.2 volts, with some. Any static charge that hits them can destroy the modules. So tight precautions about handling and grounding.
With most other components in a computer, they are all connected to power leads or system grounds. But if the motherboard is not connected to any drain (ground) source, handling it can induce a harmful static charge. A nominal humidity level in work areas in Winter should be around 50%, to reduce the risk of static charge build up.

Any durable plastic sheeting similar to the specific type should be no problem. You might want to give thought to the thick plastic blow mold enclosures on some packaged items. But that does not have the heat tolerance of the Polysulfone plastic.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby LakaWaka » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Memory modules require the lowest voltage of all system components. As low as 1.2 volts, with some. Any static charge that hits them can destroy the modules. So tight precautions about handling and grounding.
With most other components in a computer, they are all connected to power leads or system grounds. But if the motherboard is not connected to any drain (ground) source, handling it can induce a harmful static charge. A nominal humidity level in work areas in Winter should be around 50%, to reduce the risk of static charge build up.

Any durable plastic sheeting similar to the specific type should be no problem. You might want to give thought to the thick plastic blow mold enclosures on some packaged items. But that does not have the heat tolerance of the Polysulfone plastic.

Ah, so the point is to make sure everything is grounded to avoid static from hurting components? Do we still need an anti-static wrist band, or the like, if we ground the computer, but still working on it? It seems the ground will take care of it, but maybe that only works when the power supply is on, and working it's magic? From what you say as long as it's connected to a "drain source" it's fine to handle without worry of static?
I actually had an incident in winter where I got up to turn on something and I saw a huge spark which blew out the unit I was turning on.... :(
I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. The plastic seems like a good idea, and from what you say I could use any "Polysulfone" but Idk if it would be best to source a specific type. Or possible not even use the plastic and look for another material that might make the case look better (which is why I suggested leather, but there are other nice things I could use). I'm just nervous about the heat sink screws touching the case, because I believe you mentioned something about the PWM controls possibly sending a current that could go through the screws? That's really all I care about. I will be getting standoffs the same size as the screws, but the screws are still in question with touching.

I also found a HSF that is smaller than the one I have, so I might try that one out at a later date (some claim it's not flat on the bottom so thatS weird). If I got ram modules without the heatsink (which is the tallest thing in my case) I probably could get taller standoffs (TBH would not want to do that as I want more room), but I would have to see how tall the HSF scres are on this other unit. The unit in question is this one https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-CPU-Fan-C ... n+heatsink
The screws seems smaller, so this might be a better choice overall. The only issue is that apparently the backlate has some sort of adhesive and people complain about taking it off... One person said you don't have to peel back the stuff on some little square thing, but it's confusing from what I see, so I will have to check out a manual... Definitely don't want adhesive on my mobo....
LakaWaka
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to General