Intel D101GGC - 4 pin cpu power socket causes pc not start

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Intel D101GGC - 4 pin cpu power socket causes pc not sta

Postby evasive » Tue May 17, 2016 10:09 am

the same happen when I try to starts the PSU by joining the green and one black cables.

if you join the green and black cables the power supply should stay ON. try another power supply. I think this one is broken.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:18 pm

Id tried 4 different PSU´s and all do the same, with de 12V Cable connected to the MOBO the PSU tries to start and stop no matter if if touch the two pins of the power switch or if I join the green and black cables on the PSU. If I remove the 12V cable from the board the PSU an CPU fan starts by both ways
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed May 18, 2016 3:33 pm

You noted about hard drives..
I just replaced the HDD (13GB) for a bigger one (80GB..)
..is this a PATA or IDE drive? If so, ensure the marked edge of the ribbon is at #1 pin at both the drive and mobo header. If one end is reversed, the main system bus is shunted.. and no data flow. Common problem on older systems, but if the cable headers are not keyed properly, can cause a system to appear dead. For those older 'small' hard drives, a 40-wire ribbon may be better than the 80-wire ribbon type.
Same problem if no drives are attached? Get down to "bare bones" setup.. just the CPU with fan, memory and video.
If there is a front panel connection for a system speaker, put one on.. may be an error code to chase down.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:05 am

I´m already in the barebones and have the same problem, and the speaker is onboard, the problem is that the system doesn´t turn on unless I take the CPU 12V cable out of the board... Of course, this way I only got cpu fan spinning nad PSU working, no errors no post because there is no power on the CPU
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu May 19, 2016 3:28 pm

There is a gray wire on the ATX main power plug. That is the "PG" or "power good" signal lead. Should be at +5 volts (same as on +5 volt rail) if all is good with the motherboard and PSU loading.. then timer circuits become active. If down to +4.8 or less, marginal.
This is only a signal lead, not a current source. To test it, a digital meter with minimal 1meg loading is needed.
So far, PSU is good. BIOS battery is good. Memory and CPU are compatible. No other devices attached, like drives or device cards. Yet no response when the ATX 12v is connected. The out-of-the-box testing is done on a non-conductive rubber pad or plain cardboard? Tried other CPU and memory combos?
There an intrusion alarm circuit on that board. May need to be reset, certain pins may need a jumper.
Does the BIOS have a 'lockout' or 'protect' feature, check if set properly.
Time to dig out the POST diagnostics card. Yes, it will display error codes, even if the CPU is not active.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to General