16GB PNY USB Thumb Drive

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

16GB PNY USB Thumb Drive

Postby c327 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:57 am

I have a PNY 16GB thumb drive that is formatted in Fat32 from the factory. I want to put a Windows operating system ISO file on it but am not sure if it will work with Fat32?

Also I see that formatting it to NTFS is not an option with this thumb drive ???
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: 16GB PNY USB Thumb Drive

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:32 am

If the iso file is less than 2GB is OK with fat32, if it´s bigger u need NTFS or extended fat (a patch in winXP, native in Win7 and beyond)

if u r using win XP, in order to format an usb drive in NTFS, go to windows explorer, rigth click on the device icon, click in properties, click in hardware, click in ur device name, click in properties button, click in policies tab and click in optimize for performance. click in teh OK button and now u will see NTFS in the format options drop down menu

remember tha for a device formated in NTFS u have to securely remove always or can lost all ur data
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: 16GB PNY USB Thumb Drive

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:56 pm

FAT32 is the current default format. More universal for access than NTFS.
Should be no issues with having OS install files on a flash drive if in ISO mode.
It is possible to put a Windows OS "shadow" or reference image on a flash drive, but it would not have the full features or speed as when on a hard drive. But the flash drive would have to be certified as a "Windows to Go" bootable type.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 81%29.aspx
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General