Odd laptop issue.

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Odd laptop issue.

Postby Mr T » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:14 pm

It doesn't quite work like that, you may disable it, but it continually looks to update even with no network. It is a function of windows to keep us all safe (bearing also in mind that if a pc gets a virus the user tend to blame the operating system rather than their own idiocy in downloading it or looking up dodgy websites).. Another thing to try is to run windows defender, disable its scheduled task to look for updates and scan from once every second (ha-ha) to once a week. I also disabled the scheduled task for disk defragging (which should be disabled by default if running an SSD) to once a week and not to do it again if missed (ie laptop is off). If you are running windows 8/8.1/10 don't disable or try and remove the M$ apps as this gets nicely round to hosing the system, and for a while while they also update (in the background) slow the system down on a clean install.. And while thinking about it on windows 10 I disabled fastboot as that caused issues...
Last edited by Mr T on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Twisty » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:58 am

When the system is stalling open up task manager and look at what is eating up the cpu and hdd. This should help identify where the problem is.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:46 pm

I'm planning on digging around both versions of Windows this weekend. I don't think it's Wi-Fi looking for a signal, this happens with other programs-whichever you try to open first, that aren't web related, like the control panel.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:04 am

Corrupt browser helper object, outdated system libraries like Visual C++ (whatever flavour 2005/8/10/12/13/16?) can cause similar effects.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to General