Odd laptop issue.

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Odd laptop issue.

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:44 pm

I have a Lenovo Ideapad, came with Win 7 HP, and my mom has an HP, also Win 7 HP. Both are running the same i5 dual core, mine has Intel HD graphics (4XXX, I believe) while hers has a dedicated NVidia graphics chip. Both suffer from the same issue - both start at about the same time (mine's faster simply because mom's desktop can't hold any more shortcuts, takes her machine five minutes to finish loading.) Both machines have the same problem: the first window you open (doesn't matter what it is, IE, FireFox, or Windows Explorer) takes over a minute to load. After that. both run at equal speeds. I upgraded to Win 10, and the problem is still there. I can't find the cause, but it's odd that two brands of laptops would have the same issue. Thoughts?
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Odd laptop issue.

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:50 pm

One old standard "fix".. defrag the drive now and then, so files are read in a continuous pattern, not hop-skip-jump all over the platter for reading. And a defrag clears critical contiguous free space for the pagefile.sys file which is a reference file for the OS.
Have seen hundreds of megs of useless files kept by IE. May be a difference if just dumping that browser cache.
What about maximum system memory. Maxed out, should be no real sluggishness. But if minimal memory, the OS has to load and reload only basic pages several times to achieve a solid boot state.
Having on-board graphics means that a part of the upper memory amount is dedicated to video needs, where with an add-in graphics card, that portion is only a cache, and free for other needs. Best to never go above 25% of total system memory for that 'video aperture'.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:47 am

Upgrading the OS when U have speed issues rarely provides a solution, must of the times the problem become worse because new OS tends to use more system resources (memory, disk space, etc.)

SO get CCleaner or any other soft that can clean the system clutter (temp files, old registry entries) and check also the services that are running in the background to deactivate the ones that U don´t need.

follow the advice by karlsweldt and do a system disk defrag to improve it´s reading / writing speed.

consider to add some more RAM to both systems, if it´s posible.

there is a way to prevents windows refreshing all desktop icons (checking if they are not broken links) in each system start, but I don´t remember how to do it .
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Roach412 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:34 pm

if you could post the rest of the specs it could be more helpful as well.

running ccleaner is a good first step.
checking/tuning the pagefile is a good second step.
maxing out the memory is a good third step.
swapping the spinning HHD drives with a SSD is a good final step.

if none of those make a difference there's something wrong with the machine at a level that a complete wipe and reinstall is probably your best final alternative.

having shortcuts on the screen consumes resources - and as rascard mentioned, you can easily clean the ones which aren't actually used/broken - but ccleaner will do that if you choose to have it do so.
http://www.worldstart.com/windows-7-des ... up-wizard/

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:56 am

I guess I could have been a bit clearer. It's not the laptop startup time that's the issue, both fire up to the desktop just fine. Mine's a bit speedier, with 8GB RAM, mom's has 4GB. Can't recall the speeds, but both are the same. Defrag was already done, this problem existed from the start. Did a clean reinstall of Win 7 on mom's, and I did a complete install of Win 10 (basically wiped out Win 7 for good). Problem still there, on both machines. I have a few 2.5" drives laying around, so I did a swap on my machine, clean install of Win 7 again. Same issue. Clean install of Win 10 again, no joy. Checked RAM, no dice. Cleaned out all the gunk Windows leaves behind on both machines, obviously not much there since I just wiped with drives clean. The only issue is that first window you open, doesn't matter what, it'll do it opening the control panel. It's annoying, I've tried every trick in the book, researched, researched, re-researched. Haven't found my exact issue yet, but I WIIL. I think. PDT_Armataz_01_27

All the icons on her desktop are "necessary", they're games she's playing, going to play, may look at once. She knows how long it takes to load all those up, doesn't bother her. Problem there is I need her machine to program my Harmony remote, and the software is a bit is a bit fussy on Win 10, won't completely finish the sync. I need Win 7 for that, although just unplugging the dang thing at 99% works I can hit the power button on her lappie, go have a smoke, make a sandwich, and finish eating before all those icons load.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:58 am

try the Wise Care 365 free utility, it has an startup analizer that give information about the loading time of everything that windows loads at startup, perhaps there is something eating the system resources at startup
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:59 am

Its the usual windows symptom of the operating system looking for upgrades - all the resources are put into that. Win7 is really bad for it. It takes a week or so to sort itself out and then settles down.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:31 am

Have seen some 'desktop' scenes that look like a community bulletin board! Maybe 75% of the screen is short-cuts and icons.
More efficient if a folder is on the desktop for "games" and "favorites" or "features". Keep just what is basic and most needed in view. Would two more clicks be acceptable though?
Windows does want to check for updates and patches on first start. So too the security program(s).
Any "finder" programs or "IM" programs should be relegated to manual start.. not automatic.
Then too, that pagefile.sys file has to be reviewed and written over new with each start up. Could be several gigs in size.
If the system is configured for 'hibernation', that specific file can be huge also.
If a WiFi feature is active on a system, it may be looking for a connection to join.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:34 pm

Mr T wrote:Its the usual windows symptom of the operating system looking for upgrades - all the resources are put into that. Win7 is really bad for it. It takes a week or so to sort itself out and then settles down.

in that case he has to deactivate the automatic OS upgrade
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:22 pm

rascard2007 wrote:
Mr T wrote:Its the usual windows symptom of the operating system looking for upgrades - all the resources are put into that. Win7 is really bad for it. It takes a week or so to sort itself out and then settles down.

in that case he has to deactivate the automatic OS upgrade

Disabled already. All it does is notify me when they're ready for download, I don't even let it get that far.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to General