Laptop Power Supply

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Laptop Power Supply

Postby c327 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:57 am

Regarding this new laptop:

Have a condition with this laptops power supply that I am not sure if its normal or not?

I do not leave this laptop on when not in use. The 500gb SSD boots in about 10 seconds :thumbup:

I use this laptop on battery power with the power supply disconnected and then plug it in when the battery runs down. I notice that even though the battery is fully charged and then I plug in the power supply the display gets brighter. Also I noticed that if I am downloading a large file the speed of download increases when I plug in the power supply. My thoughts on this is that either the battery is under voltage or the power supply is over voltage and I am concerned with the over voltage part. Is what is happening here normal or anything to be concerned with?

Thanks
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Laptop Power Supply

Postby Mr T » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:39 am

No, nothing wrong. Laptops will throttle back the power when on battery and put it on full power when attached to mains.. Down to your power plan. If you alter it you can stop this behaviour but the battery drains a lot quicker...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:59 pm

Mr T wrote:No, nothing wrong. Laptops will throttle back the power when on battery and put it on full power when attached to mains.. Down to your power plan. If you alter it you can stop this behaviour but the battery drains a lot quicker...

Yes I had seen settings that could be made in the power setting folder, but didn't know if what was happening was a result of that. My concern was a possible over voltage from power supply? So what is happening is a normal result of those settings.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:01 am

Exclude those small power supplies for general use or powering toys, just a basic power source!
The laptop and tablet power supplies have a regulator in them to ensure no excess voltage goes to the device.
And there are systems inside the device also, to ensure no excess voltage or dangerous charging heat. A thermal sensor and safety fuse is inside every battery pack, with feedback to the on-board regulator.
The 'power scheme' can be set for maximum battery life, turning off the hard drive after a few seconds of no access, or run up to a few minutes before shutting down, or continuously. The video also has time settings before going to a 'sleep' mode. And can run in optimal mode when on external power, but also be less active when on battery only.
With portable devices, the CPU has a 'mobile' soul, where it idles between data feeds to save battery power.
Should be a setting choice (or automatic) in the 'power scheme' to maximize use when on external power, be frugal when only on battery. The user's manual should give all the "how to" about its use and care.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:02 am

c327, that is normal, because it is on mains the display will go brighter. I think you can set that too somewhere in your power configuration but most certainly, nothing to worry about. Even Apple MacBook Pro does this.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:49 am

Just to confirm, the screen brightness changing when plugged in vs unplugged is a result of where the 'Adjust plan brightness' sliders are set in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings
This is a case of the computer knowing if it is plugged in or not and choosing to change the brightness, All the voltages on the laptop are carefully controlled by PWM rather than being tied directly into the battery/input power rails, or this is at least the case for anything fairly modern - maybe really old laptops which use physical dials to adjust brightness and contrast are more basic.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to General